+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Closed Work Permit - Job change

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Guys,

I am currently on a employer-specific (closed) work permit which is valid by April 2021. My wife has recently become a full time student. Based on her new status, I am going to apply for Open Work Permit, which potentially brings me more opportunities in Canadian job market.

Is there any possibility that this OWP application leave a negative impact on my current status (I am also waiting for PR) as worker in Canada?

Many thanks in advance
No negative impact as long as your PR application isn't related to the job you want to leave. Yes you can apply for an OWP. Would warn you that the wait is quite long for OWP to be processed.

Reactions: Moien

Moien

Star Member
May 22, 2020
No negative impact as long as your PR application isn't related to the job you want to leave. Yes you can apply for an OWP. Would warn you that the wait is quite long for OWP to be processed.
thank you for answer.

I have applied with a 1-year Canadian work experience(CEC), and now it is almost two years that I am in the same job. So, I don't think my application is pending on my Job. What do you think?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
thank you for answer.

I have applied with a 1-year Canadian work experience(CEC), and now it is almost two years that I am in the same job. So, I don't think my application is pending on my Job. What do you think?
No it isn’t dependent on your job. Things like a job offer would make you dependent on the job.

Reactions: Moien