+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Climate action incentive payment question when filing taxes

CelaLopez

Star Member
Jan 25, 2018
Hi! I have doubts about this question when filling in the information for my tax return (NETFILE on Wealthsimple website).

For context, I've worked and lived in Canmore, Alberta for 5 years and never ceased to be a resident for tax purposes, so I always got this payment (single, minimum wage foreign worker).

Last year I got my Permanent Residency and decided to take some time off for traveling and visiting family and friends, planning to return this summer for work and so on (I quit my job but all my stuff is in Canmore and I'm still paying monthly memberships and so on). I worked full-time all of 2022 under the same company.

Unfortunately, my mom passed away and now I'd probably stay longer here, meaning I may not be physically in AB until the end of the year, so I'm confused about the question:

Do you live outside of one of these census metropolitan areas: Calgary, Edmonton, Red Deer or Lethbridge and expect to continue to do so on April 1, 2023?
Normally, I answer YES but since it says "and expect to continue to do so on April 1, 2023?" I don't know if, under my current circumstances, I'm still able to claim it.

In my head, the first part of the question is Yes but the second part is No(?).

Does anyone have some insight on this?

Thanks a lot.