+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Clearing customs?

LawMom20

Jul 17, 2020
What has everyone’s experience been with this? We will be taking a UHaul and driving across when we land (temporary residency). I am trying to plan everything to minimize contact and maximize efficiency for the Border Agent. I am not sure what to expect or what the process is. Any advice or insights are appreciated. Thanks!

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Give your documents to the officer and tell them what you're here to do. As a temporary resident you only need to confirm that everything you are bringing into Canada will leave with you.

Reactions: LawMom20

LawMom20

Jul 17, 2020
Give your documents to the officer and tell them what you're here to do. As a temporary resident you only need to confirm that everything you are bringing into Canada will leave with you.

I guess what I really need to know is how detailed I need to be in the content listings.Example, in a box of home office supplies, do I need to list “home office supplies, value CAD: $40” or do I need to itemize each #2 pencil and Post-It note pack?

Alberta35

Jun 15, 2015
Edmonton
My experience differs from yours but here's what I experienced. I came to Canada from US as a visitor for a couple of months then received my PR in the mail. I left Canada and returned to "land" (at an airport). I filled out my content listing document pretty generically as I was not bringing them into Canada with me when I landed. Mine items were listed like: Clothes $100, pictures and housewares $100 etc. As it has been a few years, I cannot recall the details of the form (did it ask for quantity or number of boxes). The customs officer looked at it, I think stamped it, and then I could use that document as "proof" to bring my personal belonging back over the border later. Which I did but no one asked for the form. So in summary, I did not say 5 pencils, 2 post it note pads etc - I would have just said paper and office supplies $10 (or whatever you have).

Reactions: gary51956

asinghd

Jul 19, 2016
Hi, All need help with this. I did my soft landing in 2017 and didn't do Goods to list at that time since I was not settling then. Now We are planning to move permanently from Boston to Toronto. I need advice on moving our stuff (2 BR). Since we have a lot of stuff to move I am planning to do movers. So how am I supposed to get customs clearance with my stuff? Do I need to fly first to Toronto or do a border crossing to get approval on Goods to Follow list? Then come back and Ship it via movers? I am really clueless on how to proceed. Pls, help @primaprime

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011
Hi, All need help with this. I did my soft landing in 2017 and didn't do Goods to list at that time since I was not settling then. Now We are planning to move permanently from Boston to Toronto. I need advice on moving our stuff (2 BR). Since we have a lot of stuff to move I am planning to do movers. So how am I supposed to get customs clearance with my stuff? Do I need to fly first to Toronto or do a border crossing to get approval on Goods to Follow list? Then come back and Ship it via movers? I am really clueless on how to proceed. Pls, help @primaprime
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/bsf186-eng.html

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Are you compliant with your RO?