+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

claiming refugee status in Canada

Pasar86

Sep 4, 2019
Hi Guys,

A friend of mine is coming to Canada - Ontario next week he want't to claim a refuge status agents his country of origin. he is from Pakistan.

Can you please tell me how is the process? I know he can go to any IRCC offices in Toronto to start the process. dose he have to fill out any forms before he go to IRCC office?

if anyone went through this process and can give me some insights I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks and have a lovely day!!

Mi90s

Jan 23, 2020
Assist your friend finding a good immigration lawyer, and they can assist him filling out the forms and guide him through all the steps, Basis of Claim for is really important and you cannot make an error on that, so it is vital you seek legal advice from a reputed lawyer prior to submitting the claim.

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
Hi Guys,

A friend of mine is coming to Canada - Ontario next week he want't to claim a refuge status agents his country of origin. he is from Pakistan.

Can you please tell me how is the process? I know he can go to any IRCC offices in Toronto to start the process. dose he have to fill out any forms before he go to IRCC office?

if anyone went through this process and can give me some insights I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks and have a lovely day!!
Well, filling a form is secondary in refugee process but his ground of claim need to be credible. He needs to meet the definition of a Convention refugee, or a person in need of protection. For example, did he's a consolidated grounds such as fear of danger of torture, risk to life or cruel and unusual treatment or punishment? If he's coming with a visa, it's better to explore other legal immigration means to stay in Canada rather than making a refugee claim. Canada is not obliged by international law to accept all claims.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Claiming asylum should be the last option if all other options have been exhausted. Has he moved to another region of Pakistan to seek safety? A refused asylum claim will make it difficult to travel or work in many countries for up to decades. He should consult a few lawyers before entering Canada to see whether he has a good chance of being approved before considering asylum.

Mi90s

Jan 23, 2020
@Pasar86 Ignore above two comments.

I am not encouraging nor discouraging, as individual circumstances are different. Like I said before, advise your friend to consult an immigration lawyer, once he land in Canada, prior to claiming asylum. Only they know all the legal hurdles and they will guide him according to his situation.

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
@Pasar86 Ignore above two comments.

I am not encouraging nor discouraging, as individual circumstances are different. Like I said before, advise your friend to consult an immigration lawyer, once he land in Canada, prior to claiming asylum. Only they know all the legal hurdles and they will guide him according to his situation.
How do you mean someone should disregard others opinions. That's disrespectful. Rather you could have distinctly put forward your assertion. Do you consider yourself having astute knowledge of the process or had a similar experience? If OP's friend is eligible he could have make a claim under resettlement refugee program oversee.

Pasar86

Sep 4, 2019
THANKS GUYS!

I was just asking how some one can claim a refugee status inside Canada. what 's the process (first step - not inside the airport) can you apply in person? for example show up in any IRCC offices and tell them you want to claim refugee?

I'm not looking for recommendation about the lawyer or anything like that. the person I'm trying to help is a real refugee and needs protection. so please if you dont have relevant information i would really appreciate it if you dont through random information here which i dont really need.

THNAKS!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
THANKS GUYS!

I was just asking how some one can claim a refugee status inside Canada. what 's the process (first step - not inside the airport) can you apply in person? for example show up in any IRCC offices and tell them you want to claim refugee?

I'm not looking for recommendation about the lawyer or anything like that. the person I'm trying to help is a real refugee and needs protection. so please if you dont have relevant information i would really appreciate it if you dont through random information here which i dont really need.

THNAKS!!
You can either do it at the airport or at an office in person. Details here (official IRCC info):

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/refugees/claim-protection-inside-canada/apply.html