+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Claim refugee status after study permit with my family(work/study permit)

rbnmarquez

Dec 2, 2020
Hi guys,

I'm writing in this forum again cause I have a big concern. We came to Canada un April last year with my wife's study permit and my work permit depending on that. After we settled down, the situation of our country didn't go well, so we decided to claim refugee status on Dec 2021 with the help of a lawyer.

The lawyer submitted our application in Dec/Jan 2022 and we sent our medical exams end of January. No update from the lawyer yet.

My concern is this; our work/study permits expire in March 20 2022, both of us are currently working paying taxes and formal work contracts, our kid is going to school. Our layer says they applied to our new work permits when they submitted our claim. But I'm really concern cause I don't think we will receive any work permit before our current ones expire, do we need to stop working or the implied status will continue making valid our permits? Since we change our status basically, are these permits still valid?

Thank you so much for reading this long, I will really appreciate any help.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi guys,

I'm writing in this forum again cause I have a big concern. We came to Canada un April last year with my wife's study permit and my work permit depending on that. After we settled down, the situation of our country didn't go well, so we decided to claim refugee status on Dec 2021 with the help of a lawyer.

The lawyer submitted our application in Dec/Jan 2022 and we sent our medical exams end of January. No update from the lawyer yet.

My concern is this; our work/study permits expire in March 20 2022, both of us are currently working paying taxes and formal work contracts, our kid is going to school. Our layer says they applied to our new work permits when they submitted our claim. But I'm really concern cause I don't think we will receive any work permit before our current ones expire, do we need to stop working or the implied status will continue making valid our permits? Since we change our status basically, are these permits still valid?

Thank you so much for reading this long, I will really appreciate any help.
Is your wife studying full-time? Is she doing EAP?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
No, she didn't continue the college this term since we applied to the refugee status.
It is tricky situation your lawyer can define if "implied status" applies in your case if current one expires before getting another one. In most case, you are not eligible to work until you receive your work permit after your claim, simply.. "implied status" doesnt apply on first applicant but "maintained status" applies when you re-apply/extend