+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

citizenship through descent

orlandojones

Feb 17, 2017
Hello

I wanted to check if I was eligible for citizenship by descent. I understand there is a formal way to check this but I wanted to see if anyone had some suggestions as the various acts and timing of them have left me a little confused.

My Grandfather emigrated to Canada in circ 1910, I don’t have the exact date and will have to check the passenger manifests. However, he joined the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF) in 1916 and fought in France where he was wounded and shipped back to hospital in the UK where he met my grandmother. He was eventually mustered out in 1918 and stayed in the UK.

My father was born in 1939 in the UK as was I in 1971. Neither my father or I considered applying for citizenship at the time and but I am now.

Thanks

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
I'm by no means an expert, but your case seems to be very particular.
Canadian citizenship didn't even exist until 1947 and was granted at that point under these particular conditions:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Citizenship_Act_1946#Creation_of_Canadian_Citizenship.2C_January_1947

I think it also depends on the exact status that your grandfather had while being in Canada since after all, it all depended on the question if your grandfather was a Citizen. If he was, it seems that you are.

This is a case that only a lawyer or CIC staff would be able to make a call on I think.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your grandfather was a British subject who lived in Canada (or served Canada) from roughly 1910-1918. However, since he was not living in Canada "immediately before" January 1, 1947 (and had not lived in Canada for at least 29 years before that date), he would not have acquired Canadian citizenship under the terms of the first Citizenship Act. Therefore, neither your father nor you would have acquired citizenship by descent.

If you like, you can use the "Am I a Canadian Citizen" tool found here: https://na1.se.voxco.com/SE/56/amicanadiansuisjecanadien/?lang=en&tui=9206a840-16c0-47ba-b551-59e3e9b79da5