+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship: Should I choose Single or divorced for marital status

kellyCB

Feb 8, 2023
Hi,

Facts:
  1. I landed in Canada as a PR on my own through express entry.
  2. I was divorced before my PR was granted.
  3. I provided divorce certificate to IRCC during my EE PR application and selected the correct 'divorced' status on my application.
  4. All my express entry points were my own.
  5. My CoPR was issued with a marital status = 'SINGLE' not divorced, even though I had provided divorce certificates and selected 'divorced' in the PR application.
  6. I have stayed single all throughout my PR and didn't live with anyone or had any boyfriend or husband since my PR.
Question:
  1. Should I select 'single' on my citizenship application or 'divorced'?
  2. I am inclined to select single because that's the status IRCC listed on my CoPR despite them having my divorce certificate on my PR file. Would this amount to *material misrepresentation*?

Last edited:

UKVAN

Sep 26, 2022
Hi,

Facts:
  1. I landed in Canada as a PR on my own through express entry.
  2. I was divorced before my PR was granted.
  3. I provided divorce certificate to IRCC during my EE PR application and selected the correct 'divorced' status on my application.
  4. All my express entry points were my own.
  5. My CoPR was issued with a marital status = 'SINGLE' not divorced, even though I had provided divorce certificates and selected 'divorced' in the PR application.
  6. I have stayed single all throughout my PR and didn't live with anyone or had any boyfriend or husband since my PR.
Question:
  1. Should I select 'single' on my citizenship application or 'divorced'?
  2. I am inclined to select single because that's the status IRCC listed on my CoPR despite them having my divorce certificate on my PR file. Would this amount to *material misrepresentation*?
Divorced, surely? They'll do background check, and as marriage is a legal thing wont this show up?

It wont make much difference if they get back to you and be like "oh, you're single now, we will just list that" but you *are* divorced, as in you have entered a legal marriage before. If you put single and they see you are divorced that could raise some questions. I don't know, maybe PR cards only have single or married as an option to be printed on them. Best be honest with them though, so put divorced down.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
As rightly said by @UKVAN go with Divorced which is the correct option and add a `Letter of Explanation` explaining the situation in detail.

kellyCB

Feb 8, 2023
But why did they issue my COPR with a single status despite submitting my divorce certificate? Wouldn't it make sense to stay consistent with status listed in the CoPR?

despacito2017

Star Member
Oct 4, 2017
But why did they issue my COPR with a single status despite submitting my divorce certificate? Wouldn't it make sense to stay consistent with status listed in the CoPR?
The people processing the COPR make mistakes. A friend of mine was listed as widowed despite never having married. When applying for citizenship, he attached a letter of explanation that explained that he had never been married much less lost a wife. He got his application processed with no issues.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
The people processing the COPR make mistakes. A friend of mine was listed as widowed despite never having married. When applying for citizenship, he attached a letter of explanation that explained that he had never been married much less lost a wife. He got his application processed with no issues.
I agree. I have a friend whose `PR since date` on COPR and on PR card are totally different. The right date is the PR card date. So mistakes do happen on COPR.

firstax

Dec 8, 2018
To simplify, there are two options that apply to your case, single and divorced. You happen to be single and also divorced. In some government documents, they usually fill in Single-never married as an option to differentiate between single and divorced. They would do a background check on your application and they will know you are divorced. I have seen IRCC delay an application for years because of one small discrepancy. So to avoid IRCC headache put divorced.

Reactions: forw.jane