+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

citizenship process(application of passport/getting OCI) when i am in india

AzureGekko

Mar 27, 2023
Hello all,

I recently got my Oath date (in January), but i need to stay/work i India for the next 2 years.. i wanted to know what are the processes that have to be done in Canada before returning to India as early as possible..

1. Can i take the oath ceremony in Canada; return to India with my Indian passport, apply for Canadian passport from India. Once i get the Canadian passport i surrender my Indian passport and apply for OCI.

2.Take the oath ceremony in Canada; apply for Canadian passport and once i get the Canadian passport, I apply for entry visa(not tourist visa or evisa as i have to work in India), Return to India using the Canadian passport and surrender my Indian passport and wait 6 months to get my OCI card?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello all,

I recently got my Oath date (in January), but i need to stay/work i India for the next 2 years.. i wanted to know what are the processes that have to be done in Canada before returning to India as early as possible..

1. Can i take the oath ceremony in Canada; return to India with my Indian passport, apply for Canadian passport from India. Once i get the Canadian passport i surrender my Indian passport and apply for OCI.

2.Take the oath ceremony in Canada; apply for Canadian passport and once i get the Canadian passport, I apply for entry visa(not tourist visa or evisa as i have to work in India), Return to India using the Canadian passport and surrender my Indian passport and wait 6 months to get my OCI card?
In both the above case you will not be able to work till you get your OCI. Continuing to work would complicate your case as it would be illegal. You would need Employment visa as entry visa does not allow you to work but allows you to apply for OCI after 6 months.

AzureGekko

Mar 27, 2023
In both the above case you will not be able to work till you get your OCI. Continuing to work would complicate your case as it would be illegal. You would need Employment visa as entry visa does not allow you to work but allows you to apply for OCI after 6 months.
can i work remotely from Canada till i get my OCI then travel to India? i.e. can i (as a Canadian citizen work remotely for a Indian company)

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
can i work remotely from Canada till i get my OCI then travel to India? i.e. can i (as a Canadian citizen work remotely for a Indian company)
I am not sure about this. As for OCI from Canada you need employer letter. Not sure how they will react to working for Indian company.
@abbas.pasha - Any idea about this?

eee

Star Member
Mar 23, 2017
hi, did you find a way in your case as i am also in simillar situation now.

Please advice

eee

Star Member
Mar 23, 2017
hi, did you find a way in your case as i am also in simillar situation now.

Please advice
can we work for now without surrendering indian pp for 2 years ,meaning if we dont want to travel to canada for 2 years ?