+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship for child born outside Canada (& how to return to Canada)

crzy_canadian

Oct 28, 2015
Visayas - Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Nov-2015
AOR Received.
12-Jan-2016
File Transfer...
19-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
08-July-2016
VISA ISSUED...
VOH: 05-Aug-2016
Backstory:

I am a Canadian citizen, I moved to the Philippines to live with my at the time girlfriend. We got pregnant and this past July/2015 had our daughter, and we were married in August/2015. Fast forward a few months, we sent in our application for Family sponsorship for my wife and daughter. [I did not realize my daughter would be granted Canadian citizenship]. Yesterday I received communication from CPC-M that our daughter did not qualify to be sponsored since she may qualify for Canadian citizenship, and was thus removed from our application.

Now I realize I've put myself in this situation, but I'm hoping someone knowledgeable about this can help me out of it. I've received sponsor approval as of today and transfer of our file to the Manila VO. Judging by past processing times it looks like if all is well 4-6 months is entirely possible for our application to be approved. Looking at the processing times for 'Proof of Canadian Citizenship' its 5 months + add 3-4 months if applying out of Canada or the U.S.. If our spousal sponsorship goes through in 4-6 months I would hate to have to wait for an additional 3-5 months for the citizenship proof for our daughter.

Now I'm wondering how to proceed; can we simply return to Canada using our daughters Filipino passport, and showing her birth certificate listing me as the father? Or do we actually have to wait out the full 8-9 month processing time?

Thanks for the help :)

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
crzy_canadian said:
Backstory:

I am a Canadian citizen, I moved to the Philippines to live with my at the time girlfriend. We got pregnant and this past July/2015 had our daughter, and we were married in August/2015. Fast forward a few months, we sent in our application for Family sponsorship for my wife and daughter. [I did not realize my daughter would be granted Canadian citizenship]. Yesterday I received communication from CPC-M that our daughter did not qualify to be sponsored since she may qualify for Canadian citizenship, and was thus removed from our application.

Now I realize I've put myself in this situation, but I'm hoping someone knowledgeable about this can help me out of it. I've received sponsor approval as of today and transfer of our file to the Manila VO. Judging by past processing times it looks like if all is well 4-6 months is entirely possible for our application to be approved. Looking at the processing times for 'Proof of Canadian Citizenship' its 5 months + add 3-4 months if applying out of Canada or the U.S.. If our spousal sponsorship goes through in 4-6 months I would hate to have to wait for an additional 3-5 months for the citizenship proof for our daughter.

Now I'm wondering how to proceed; can we simply return to Canada using our daughters Filipino passport, and showing her birth certificate listing me as the father? Or do we actually have to wait out the full 8-9 month processing time?

Thanks for the help :)

I would suggest you please contact Canadian consulate in that country for proper guidance. That way, you can bring your daughter legally to Canada and then continue the process from here. Send an email, get a reply and strictly follow that, as its immigration matter.

Not that anyone might want to misguide but in such important matter you cannot afford any mistake and got to do it as per rule of land.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Are you a Canadian citizen by birth in Canada or by naturalization? If so, your daughter is already Canadian. I would go to nearest Canadian consulate and see what they can do to expedite a certificate/passport for her.

crzy_canadian

Oct 28, 2015
Visayas - Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Nov-2015
AOR Received.
12-Jan-2016
File Transfer...
19-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
08-July-2016
VISA ISSUED...
By birth. The nearest consulate to me is Cebu, Philippines. I contacted them and unfortunately they don't deal with citizenship, meaning I have to deal with Manila, which is a long way away from me. Thanks for the reply :)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

crzy_canadian said:
By birth. The nearest consulate to me is Cebu, Philippines. I contacted them and unfortunately they don't deal with citizenship, meaning I have to deal with Manila, which is a long way away from me. Thanks for the reply :)
1. You apply for proof of citizenship for the child: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof.asp apply to Manila
2. Once you have proof you can apply for a Canadian passport for the child. If the proof doesn't arrive before your spouse is issued her COPR, then you can apply for a "facilitation visa" for the child on a Philippines passport as she is under the age of 2. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/types/facilitation.asp

crzy_canadian

Oct 28, 2015
Visayas - Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Nov-2015
AOR Received.
12-Jan-2016
File Transfer...
19-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
08-July-2016
VISA ISSUED...
PMM said:
Hi

1. You apply for proof of citizenship for the child: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof.asp apply to Manila
2. Once you have proof you can apply for a Canadian passport for the child. If the proof doesn't arrive before your spouse is issued her COPR, then you can apply for a "facilitation visa" for the child on a Philippines passport as she is under the age of 2. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/types/facilitation.asp
Thanks for the info, looks like we better get on it.