+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship certification amendment processing times...?

Eitan-ro

Star Member
Oct 9, 2018
Hi everyone,
I have sent to IRCC a request to amend the family name in the citizenship certificate due to an error 3 months ago, any idea how long the processing time for something like this?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
17 months?? that's more than the entire citizenship process!
crazy....
The link given is to apply for a new citizenship certificate. Hence that's what timeline is shown, too.

If you applied under the correction procedure and followed instructions here:
https://www.cic.gc.ca/English/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=598&top=5

Including marking, "urgent", it MIGHT be faster. But I don't believe they show a timeline and so it's anyone's guess - it's probably a rare enough thing that they just don't do timelines. Personally I'd guess that nothign happens in less than 3-4 months from them these days.

If you wish to get an answer and at least some acknolwedgement, you might try through your MP. (I did this through MP for citizenship for a minor and at least got confirmation that they "don't always provide acknowledgement" at the stage I was concerned about; don't know if it helped but we did get the certificate 3-4 weeks later. My impression is it might have dislodged it from whatever dark recess it had been sitting in.

My other impression is that the actual printing and mailroom operations there are a serious bottleneck.

Reactions: visa_4all

visa_4all

Jul 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The link given is to apply for a new citizenship certificate. Hence that's what timeline is shown, too.

Including marking, "urgent", it MIGHT be faster. But I don't believe they show a timeline and so it's anyone's guess - it's probably a rare enough thing that they just don't do timelines. Personally I'd guess that nothign happens in less than 3-4 months from them these days.

If you wish to get an answer and at least some acknolwedgement, you might try through your MP. (I did this through MP for citizenship for a minor and at least got confirmation that they "don't always provide acknowledgement" at the stage I was concerned about; don't know if it helped but we did get the certificate 3-4 weeks later. My impression is it might have dislodged it from whatever dark recess it had been sitting in.

My other impression is that the actual printing and mailroom operations there are a serious bottleneck.
@armoured
Did you get the citizenship certificate (for a minor) with the corrected name in 3-4 weeks? What process did you follow?

Thanks

Eitan-ro

Star Member
Oct 9, 2018

Thank you!
How can I contact my MP? (living in Richmond-Hill, Ontario)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
@armoured
Did you get the citizenship certificate (for a minor) with the corrected name in 3-4 weeks? What process did you follow?
Mine was not a correction but original application. The 3-4 weeks was time it took after getting in touch with MP's office - but again, different process and of course point when MP got involved in process is probably most relevant to that time.