+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship application how to prove residency with no work history and no rental agreement

Humanshado

Jun 27, 2017
I need all the advice I can get.

Since I landed in Canada, I have been working on an idea for a business and living on my savings. I cannot claim to be self-employed because the business has not even started. The idea started falling apart due to some unexpected challenges in late 2019. The pandemic finally put the whole business idea in a coffin last year. I'm trying to avoid getting RQ based on the fact that I have no work history since I landed, no rental agreement to show as evidence and I have not fallen sick so no health record.

What documents can I possibly use to pre-empt any possibility of getting RQ? Thanks.

RJ2020

Oct 29, 2020
I need all the advice I can get.

Since I landed in Canada, I have been working on an idea for a business and living on my savings. I cannot claim to be self-employed because the business has not even started. The idea started falling apart due to some unexpected challenges in late 2019. The pandemic finally put the whole business idea in a coffin last year. I'm trying to avoid getting RQ based on the fact that I have no work history since I landed, no rental agreement to show as evidence and I have not fallen sick so no health record.

What documents can I possibly use to pre-empt any possibility of getting RQ? Thanks.
First of all, it's my very personal opinion you read here. I'm not an expert. I just talk according to my personal experience, relying on my logic. If you have any doubts, you should always contact IRCC and ask them directly. That's the best way.

Firstly, being employed is not a requirement to apply for citizenship. Your physical presence in Canada and some other requirements matter here. However, I completely appreciate your concern. You actually want to know how to prove your physical presence in Canada while you have no employment history, and I assume no educational history as well.

Well, that's a tricky one. No one knows what documents they might need later after you submit your application. I mean, we all can guess according to other people's experience. We know that educational/employment history are two effective ways to prove your presence in Canada. However, if I want to answer you question, IMO the very first thing they check is your exit and entries to Canada through CBSA. They also care about your tax returns. Filing your tax returns over the last 5 years (if required) is really important. Even if you were not required to file your tax returns and filed them, that can be considered a positive point for a person without any educational/employment background like you. They might also want you to provide all pages of your all passports covering your five-year eligibility period including exit/entry stamps and also a translation for all exit/entry stamps in your passport (If not in English). That's another way to check your Exit/Entries to Canada.

Finally, God knows what they would ask in the interview, but always be ready. Try to collect and keep all bank statements mailed to your residential address. Try to keep all paper letters coming from government to you, such as notice of assessments. They can be useful in proving your presence.

To wrap it up, as I said before, although work/educational history is an effective way to prove your presence in Canada, it's not a requirement. Whether they would ask more documents or not is undetermined. You just apply (if you're eligible), and do not worry. Just wait, if they need anything extra, they will let you know, and you will decide what to do. As long as you're honest, you will be good.

Good Luck!

Humanshado

Jun 27, 2017
First of all, it's my very personal opinion you read here. I'm not an expert. I just talk according to my personal experience, relying on my logic. If you have any doubts, you should always contact IRCC and ask them directly. That's the best way.

Firstly, being employed is not a requirement to apply for citizenship. Your physical presence in Canada and some other requirements matter here. However, I completely appreciate your concern. You actually want to know how to prove your physical presence in Canada while you have no employment history, and I assume no educational history as well.

Well, that's a tricky one. No one knows what documents they might need later after you submit your application. I mean, we all can guess according to other people's experience. We know that educational/employment history are two effective ways to prove your presence in Canada. However, if I want to answer you question, IMO the very first thing they check is your exit and entries to Canada through CBSA. They also care about your tax returns. Filing your tax returns over the last 5 years (if required) is really important. Even if you were not required to file your tax returns and filed them, that can be considered a positive point for a person without any educational/employment background like you. They might also want you to provide all pages of your all passports covering your five-year eligibility period including exit/entry stamps and also a translation for all exit/entry stamps in your passport (If not in English). That's another way to check your Exit/Entries to Canada.

Finally, God knows what they would ask in the interview, but always be ready. Try to collect and keep all bank statements mailed to your residential address. Try to keep all paper letters coming from government to you, such as notice of assessments. They can be useful in proving your presence.

To wrap it up, as I said before, although work/educational history is an effective way to prove your presence in Canada, it's not a requirement. Whether they would ask more documents or not is undetermined. You just apply (if you're eligible), and do not worry. Just wait, if they need anything extra, they will let you know, and you will decide what to do. As long as you're honest, you will be good.

Good Luck!
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Star Member
Jul 8, 2017

Good Luck!

@RJ2020

Hi Senior member,

I need some help. I would be filing a citizenship application in the upcoming days however there is one issue in which I need some guidance.

My name was added as co-tenant on the existing lease in March 2018, I live in sharing. However, I was still living at my previous address the majority of the time and only sometimes used to stay at the new address. Previous address is of my relative so I was still comfortable living there because I never lived alone in sharing with new people but eventually I had to move out and live on my own. I added my name in March 2018 as I was getting a good deal/rent at a very cheaper rate but permanently moved to the new address in Aug 2018. From March 2018 till Aug 2018, I sometimes used to stay at the new address but was still living at the old one. All my emails and taxes etc was coming to a previous address.

When I applied for spousal sponsorship, wrote the new address from Aug 2018. However, I came to know that at citizenship applications sometimes they issue RQ. I can obtain a letter from my relative and show mails that I was living at that address till Aug 2018. What will be the best approach here? Write a letter of explanation in advance or just write dates written in spousal sponsorship and give an explanation if RQ is issued.

Please advise :)

RJ2020

Oct 29, 2020
@RJ2020

Hi Senior member,

I need some help. I would be filing a citizenship application in the upcoming days however there is one issue in which I need some guidance.

My name was added as co-tenant on the existing lease in March 2018, I live in sharing. However, I was still living at my previous address the majority of the time and only sometimes used to stay at the new address. Previous address is of my relative so I was still comfortable living there because I never lived alone in sharing with new people but eventually I had to move out and live on my own. I added my name in March 2018 as I was getting a good deal/rent at a very cheaper rate but permanently moved to the new address in Aug 2018. From March 2018 till Aug 2018, I sometimes used to stay at the new address but was still living at the old one. All my emails and taxes etc was coming to a previous address.

When I applied for spousal sponsorship, wrote the new address from Aug 2018. However, I came to know that at citizenship applications sometimes they issue RQ. I can obtain a letter from my relative and show mails that I was living at that address till Aug 2018. What will be the best approach here? Write a letter of explanation in advance or just write dates written in spousal sponsorship and give an explanation if RQ is issued.

Please advise :)
Hi,

I personally believe no explanation letter is required. Just write the actual address of the actual places you lived at during your presence in Canada. So, it seems you used to live at a place and then moved out. Just mention all addresses you lived at. Be honest. As long as you're honest, you will be fine. They need your residential address. They need to know where you actually lived.