+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Application Delays: Letter to MP

phoenix111

Nov 7, 2017
Hi all,
I was thinking to write a letter to my MP to get IRCC to be more transparent about what's going on with our applications. Here is what I had in mind, let me know what you think:

Dear [insert MP name here],

Hoping this letter finds you well. I am a Permenant Resident of Canada, residing in the borough of [xx]. I have submitted an application for Canadian Citizenship this past [insert month here] and am currently waiting on any news.

I am only one person of countless other individuals who have applied for citizenship and have not had any news since January 2020. Of course, we all understand the detrimental effect COVID-19 has caused in all aspects of life. In no way would we want our government workers to be in harm’s way because of the virus. We do, however, believe that we have at least the right to know what to expect for our application and to obtain more information. IRCC’s website has so far failed to provide any useful information for applicants other than “We are accepting new applications” and “all citizenship in-person events are cancelled”.

I am sure that IRCC agents have been overwhelmed with calls from anxious applicants. To that end, might it not be possible for IRCC to release a statement with the following information:

- Describing (preferably in numbers and figures) the size and amount of backlog currently facing citizenship applications.

- Estimating a timeline for AORs.

- Detailing the procedure they are following to process applications in the current circumstances.

- Giving any foreseeable plan of resuming citizenship tests and interviews, similar to what was done for oath ceremonies.

I think that receiving some concrete information will bring peace of mind for applicants, enhancing trust and transparency between them and the government.

Thank you very much for your time,

Let me know your thoughts and whether you're also thinking of contacting your MP.

hotshot45890

Star Member
Jun 29, 2020
Great initiative, thank you for drafting this. I have a suggestion if we should also include a request for a plan in the opening statement (updated below for review in italics)

We do, however, believe that we have at least the right to know what to expect for our application and to obtain more information and to understand the governments response and plan in dealing with the situation and implementing plans to mitigate substantial delays. If there are challenges relating to funding, resourcing, or other factors these should be disclosed so all issues are transparent and these can be understood fully by all stakeholders.

I am also thinking there should be a request for a statement from the minister. I am surprised the minister has made no effort as of today to provide an update and address key concerns and questions. As an elected representative I think this is a very important step that needs to be undertaken. Wonder if this should also be addressed somehow in this letter.

Post Updated to remove points distracting to others. Do not want to lose sight of key ask here which is to get some transparency and plan.

Last edited:

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
I fully support this, but how exactly is this specific group of people the 'hardest hit'? I would imagine family reunification is top priority for the country and residents right now (as has been stated by the government). Is the only argument for this to be able to vote? Other than this, PR status is mostly the same as Citizenship. I fail to see how this is more urgent than other groups facing delays..

Reactions: Usher9387

EUK

Feb 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Awaiting for a long response on this thread.

Masplong

Star Member
Jun 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-06-2014
Med's Request
13-06-2014
Med's Done....
25-06-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
10-07-2014
LANDED..........
Soon :)
I fully support this, but how exactly is this specific group of people the 'hardest hit'? I would imagine family reunification is top priority for the country and residents right now (as has been stated by the government). Is the only argument for this to be able to vote? Other than this, PR status is mostly the same as Citizenship. I fail to see how this is more urgent than other groups facing delays..
I don't think the purpose of this is to get IRCC to process all the applications right away. Everyone understands there are cases that are more urgent in nature and those should be dealt with first.
We just want some clarity and transparency from IRCC. People want to know what to expect. When you go on their website, they're stating that they're still accepting new applications. That means they're still offering that service which cost people at least a $630 processing fee, so if that service is being disrupted, IRCC should be able to explain what's going on and give applicants some reassurance.

phoenix111

Nov 7, 2017
I don't think the purpose of this is to get IRCC to process all the applications right away. Everyone understands there are cases that are more urgent in nature and those should be dealt with first.
We just want some clarity and transparency from IRCC. People want to know what to expect. When you go on their website, they're stating that they're still accepting new applications. That means they're still offering that service which cost people at least a $630 processing fee, so if that service is being disrupted, IRCC should be able to explain what's going on and give applicants some reassurance.
Excellent point about the fees!! I will mention that in the letter, especially since the government said they wanted to reduce the fee in 2019.

Reactions: hoping1

phoenix111

Nov 7, 2017
Great initiative, thank you for drafting this. I have a suggestion if we should also include a request for a plan in the opening statement (updated below for review in italics)

We do, however, believe that we have at least the right to know what to expect for our application and to obtain more information and to understand the governments response and plan in dealing with the situation and implementing plans to mitigate substantial delays. If there are challenges relating to funding, resourcing, or other factors these should be disclosed so all issues are transparent and these can be understood fully by all stakeholders.

I am also thinking there should be a request for a statement from the minister. I am surprised the minister has made no effort as of today to provide an update and address key concerns and questions. As an elected representative I think this is a very important step that needs to be undertaken. Wonder if this should also be addressed somehow in this letter.

Post Updated to remove points distracting to others. Do not want to lose sight of key ask here which is to get some transparency and plan.
This is great, thank you!! I will incorporate in the letter and update the thread shortly with the new draft.

Masplong

Star Member
Jun 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-06-2014
Med's Request
13-06-2014
Med's Done....
25-06-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
10-07-2014
LANDED..........
Soon :)
Excellent point about the fees!! I will mention that in the letter, especially since the government said they wanted to reduce the fee in 2019.
Yes please do. I am with you on this one.
The only thing is, since the parliament has been prorogued until September 24th. Why don't we all just send these letters directly to the minister of immigration. I would hope that'll get him thinking about this issue after getting bombarded by all the letters. His address is down below.

The Honourable Marco E. L. Mendicino, P.C., M.P.
365 Laurier Avenue West
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 1L1

Reactions: hoping1

Cherry Kola

Aug 28, 2018
Toronto
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Med's Request
15-08-2018
Med's Done....
28-08-2018
Hi all,
I was thinking to write a letter to my MP to get IRCC to be more transparent about what's going on with our applications. Here is what I had in mind, let me know what you think:

Dear [insert MP name here],

Hoping this letter finds you well. I am a Permenant Resident of Canada, residing in the borough of [xx]. I have submitted an application for Canadian Citizenship this past [insert month here] and am currently waiting on any news.

I am only one person of countless other individuals who have applied for citizenship and have not had any news since January 2020. Of course, we all understand the detrimental effect COVID-19 has caused in all aspects of life. In no way would we want our government workers to be in harm’s way because of the virus. We do, however, believe that we have at least the right to know what to expect for our application and to obtain more information. IRCC’s website has so far failed to provide any useful information for applicants other than “We are accepting new applications” and “all citizenship in-person events are cancelled”.

I am sure that IRCC agents have been overwhelmed with calls from anxious applicants. To that end, might it not be possible for IRCC to release a statement with the following information:

- Describing (preferably in numbers and figures) the size and amount of backlog currently facing citizenship applications.

- Estimating a timeline for AORs.

- Detailing the procedure they are following to process applications in the current circumstances.

- Giving any foreseeable plan of resuming citizenship tests and interviews, similar to what was done for oath ceremonies.

I think that receiving some concrete information will bring peace of mind for applicants, enhancing trust and transparency between them and the government.

Thank you very much for your time,

Let me know your thoughts and whether you're also thinking of contacting your MP.
I was wondering if you had written to your MP? And was the outcome? Thanks