+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship application - Canadian Mother - but no birth certificate, only baptism certificate

rick876

May 6, 2019
Hello, I hope someone might be able to give me some guidance, as I appear to be caught in a catch-22 situation.

My mother was born in Canada in 1916, but her birth was never registered (no birth certificate) with the authorities: she was baptised a couple of weeks later and I have the original baptism certificate + a copy of the entry in the church register, all certified. She emigrated to the UK at the age of 8 and never needed a birth certificate - the certified baptism certificate was enough for everything she needed in life.

I contacted Vital Statistics to see if they could issue a birth certificate, as I know IRCC request it for citizenship applications. They acknowledged that ‘not registering a birth’ was not unusual at the time, however they won’t issue a birth certificate as my mother is now deceased.

The problem is that I’ve applied for Citizenship with all documents I have (baptism certificate), including the email from Vital Statistics saying they won’t issue a birth certificate, but the IRCC has sent me an email to say they won’t process my application without my mother’s birth certificate as my mother is now deceased (and specifically say baptism records are not acceptable):

“we require the following documents and/or information proof: that one or both of the applicant’s parents were Canadian citizens at the time of the applicant’s birth. Examples of acceptable forms of proof include a clear and legible colour copy of the child’s mother’s Canadian birth certificate issued by the province where the mother was born or Canadian citizenship certificate. Hospital birth certificates and baptismal records are not acceptable.”

Any ideas what I can do? One part of the Canadian authorities won't issue the certificate and another part say they won't process my application without that certificate!

Thanks in advance

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
Which province are you applying for? As a reference, I looked at ServiceOntario's website and it says that the next-of-kin of a deceased person can apply for the certified copy of birth registration, so the reason they gave you contradicts what is on the website if you are applying to Ontario.

Reactions: rick876

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, I hope someone might be able to give me some guidance, as I appear to be caught in a catch-22 situation.

My mother was born in Canada in 1916, but her birth was never registered (no birth certificate) with the authorities: she was baptised a couple of weeks later and I have the original baptism certificate + a copy of the entry in the church register, all certified. She emigrated to the UK at the age of 8 and never needed a birth certificate - the certified baptism certificate was enough for everything she needed in life.

I contacted Vital Statistics to see if they could issue a birth certificate, as I know IRCC request it for citizenship applications. They acknowledged that ‘not registering a birth’ was not unusual at the time, however they won’t issue a birth certificate as my mother is now deceased.

The problem is that I’ve applied for Citizenship with all documents I have (baptism certificate), including the email from Vital Statistics saying they won’t issue a birth certificate, but the IRCC has sent me an email to say they won’t process my application without my mother’s birth certificate as my mother is now deceased (and specifically say baptism records are not acceptable):

“we require the following documents and/or information proof: that one or both of the applicant’s parents were Canadian citizens at the time of the applicant’s birth. Examples of acceptable forms of proof include a clear and legible colour copy of the child’s mother’s Canadian birth certificate issued by the province where the mother was born or Canadian citizenship certificate. Hospital birth certificates and baptismal records are not acceptable.”

Any ideas what I can do? One part of the Canadian authorities won't issue the certificate and another part say they won't process my application without that certificate!

Thanks in advance
What is the end goal of this process? Assume it is unlikely that your father in his 80s wants to move to Canada or does he? Are you trying to get citizenship for yourself? How do you intend on doing so? Before putting in all this effort it is probably best to determine if your end goal is possible.

Fallen_Warrior

May 16, 2013

Thanks in advance
Lawyer up!

• Haha
Reactions: rick876

rick876

May 6, 2019
Which province are you applying for? As a reference, I looked at ServiceOntario's website and it says that the next-of-kin of a deceased person can apply for the certified copy of birth registration, so the reason they gave you contradicts what is on the website if you are applying to Ontario.
Thanks - it's NB. I'll contact them again to see what I can do.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
Thanks - it's NB. I'll contact them again to see what I can do.
Service New Brunswick's website says that they just require proof of death when anyone is requesting a birth certificate for a deceased person, so that also contradicts the answer you got from them. I would just keep pressing them on that; if consent is needed even for a deceased person, then they should not have included it.