+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CIC has mixed up my file with someone else's file

cla3107

Jan 19, 2014
I came to Canada 16 months back as an international student studying at George Brown College. I am really frustrated with the way CIC (Canadian Immigration) has been dealing with my file right from the time I entered Canada. I have never received a single document (study permit, off-campus work permit & now Post graduation work permit) with all the correct information on it and having to wait for longer than expected (sometimes for more than 4 months when the normal processing time is 10-15 days) to get the corrected documents again.

I have always had an issue with my Client ID because CIC has mixed up my file with someone else's file. I have brought this to the notice of the CIC officials and I am always assured that the issue has been rectified but I do not see it. The latest document i.e my Post Graduation Work Permit again has the wrong Client ID on it and because of the mix-up of my file even my Passport No. and address is wrong. I emailed & even called CIC regarding this a number of times and after having to wait for more than a month I get a document from them with just the address updated and incorrect Client Id and passport No. This is the case almost everytime with all my documents.

This is giving me tremendous stress and I cannot concentrate on other things. I recently had to delay the start date of a job that I was offered because my SIN card has expired and I cannot renew it as the Work Permit that I have received has the incorrect information and I have to wait for it to be rectified before applying for renewal of my SIN card.

I do not see any option and being an international student do not know who to approach about this. I am afraid that because of this I can face problems when I apply for my PR for no fault of mine. Please suggest. Thanks.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Which visa office do you have? Would you consider ordering your GCMS notes And the PHYSICAL FILE so you can see Exactly what documents are in your file that may be causing the problem.

cla3107

Jan 19, 2014
Thank you so much for replying. I think the Post Graduation Work Permit goes to Ottawa. Is it possible to order the physical file? How can I do that? Thanks.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5563E.pdf

This should help. Also you can google GCMS notes order. It is very inexpensive. Worth every penny!

cla3107

Jan 19, 2014
Thank you so much for your help. I was just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and the steps taken. Thanks once again.

jasmeet92

Sep 12, 2021
i applied sowp from india unfortunately my file data mix up with another country's person. application number, uci number and address is mine but name, dob and biometric is not matching.. pls suggest me but to do now..