+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CIBC GIC Refund

kathydoro

Jan 7, 2024
Hello everyone! Can anyone help me?
So what happened is that my visa got rejected and I initiated a request for refund of the money I sent to my GIC account under CIBC. I uploaded a notarized copy of the 3rd page of the refund request form along with the copy of my id and passport. I also uploaded a letter explaining why I am asking for a refund together with the refusal notice issued by the IRCC to this explanation.

CIBC rejected my request five (5) times or six (6) times already with the reason "incorrect customer name mentioned in the refund form", "missing information", please submit your request online with a letter identifying the reason for your request". They even asked me to send a SWIFT Copy of my payment from the Bank here in the Philippines in which where I ask them to send the money to my GIC Account under CIBC and they told me it will take 5-8 business days for the one handling the request to see if they already received the money.

What do I have to do? I already asked my aunt who's living in Canada to do it for me as I have sent all the necessary documents to her. I even asked a lawyer to make a special power of atty and is notarized to let my aunt be the one to refund the money under me as I couldn't go to Canada anymore. i tried uploading everything to their website and even sent it separately to the email they provided but still nothing change.

I sent a lot of email to the customer care of CIBC but I still haven't heard from them since. It's been almost 2 years and I they're still rejecting my refund request.

Anyone have any ideas what other things to do? Can anyone help me? Please?

Your help will be much appreciated. Thank you

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone! Can anyone help me?
So what happened is that my visa got rejected and I initiated a request for refund of the money I sent to my GIC account under CIBC. I uploaded a notarized copy of the 3rd page of the refund request form along with the copy of my id and passport. I also uploaded a letter explaining why I am asking for a refund together with the refusal notice issued by the IRCC to this explanation.

CIBC rejected my request five (5) times or six (6) times already with the reason "incorrect customer name mentioned in the refund form", "missing information", please submit your request online with a letter identifying the reason for your request". They even asked me to send a SWIFT Copy of my payment from the Bank here in the Philippines in which where I ask them to send the money to my GIC Account under CIBC and they told me it will take 5-8 business days for the one handling the request to see if they already received the money.

What do I have to do? I already asked my aunt who's living in Canada to do it for me as I have sent all the necessary documents to her. I even asked a lawyer to make a special power of atty and is notarized to let my aunt be the one to refund the money under me as I couldn't go to Canada anymore. i tried uploading everything to their website and even sent it separately to the email they provided but still nothing change.

I sent a lot of email to the customer care of CIBC but I still haven't heard from them since. It's been almost 2 years and I they're still rejecting my refund request.

Anyone have any ideas what other things to do? Can anyone help me? Please?

Your help will be much appreciated. Thank you
How long is the GIC? 5 years non-redeemable? What is the maturity instructions?

Edit: Have you tried going to their overseas office? You don't a Canadian visa to go to Canada, but can you go to another country (such as the one in Hong Kong)?

Last edited: