+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Chronicles of a Pakistani Immigrant

Evolution

Nov 5, 2011
I had to wait two years before I got my passport back with the Immigrant visa. A few days ago I attended a pre-departure orientation organized by IOM at Mehran Hotel, Karachi.

I plan to set up a small business with offices both in Toronto and Karachi. So I had been planning for that. Sold my car last week and rented out my apartment starting next month. I will land in Canada in the first week of December. Have arranged for an international driving permit, so I can at least get some consideration. After all I've been driving for the past 20 years. I am prepared to go through all the necessary tests, written or otherwise. Chances of any consideration are slim though. Some say a normal license works for a few weeks, and then you have to apply for a Canadian Driving License.

The engineers and doctors at the seminar were not too happy since their faculties are regulated. Meaning they'd probably be starting from scratch. I will have to start from the bottom as well. But I have high hopes from the people there and from myself.

Fingers crossed.

roposh

Aug 27, 2011
Karachi, Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
London, United Kingdom
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/10/2011
Doc's Request.
Sent with Application
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Good Luck! and keep us posted about your experience.

regards,
Roposh

Evolution

Nov 5, 2011
It is painful to wrap up everything in a city you've lived all your life. Sell or worse give away your furniture, paintings and books- unless you want to take them along- freight is expensive from Pakistan. And you never know where you might settle in so lugging around so many memories in a cold new place can be difficult. As if the new people and the streets wont be enough. Looking forward to making the most. This is a great country with the potential to even become an opinion leader in the future.

The grapevine is the smaller states are cheaper, more jobs but colder. The opportunity cost of setting up in V , BC or T is evident. I need to keep my eyes open.

roposh

Aug 27, 2011
Karachi, Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
London, United Kingdom
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/10/2011
Doc's Request.
Sent with Application
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Evolution said:
It is painful to wrap up everything in a city you've lived all your life. Sell or worse give away your furniture, paintings and books- unless you want to take them along- freight is expensive from Pakistan. And you never know where you might settle in so lugging around so many memories in a cold new place can be difficult. As if the new people and the streets wont be enough. Looking forward to making the most. This is a great country with the potential to even become an opinion leader in the future.

The grapevine is the smaller states are cheaper, more jobs but colder. The opportunity cost of setting up in V , BC or T is evident. I need to keep my eyes open.

Very well said.
I am from Karachi too. I can understand your feelings. Though it is far too early for me as I have only sent my application last month but the thought of leaving the dear one's behind is already haunting me like anything.
Wish you all the luck and I sincerely hope you make a good life there.

regards,
Roposh

Evolution

Nov 5, 2011
The grapevine is that if one is not careful about the weight they carry, the excess baggage charges at Jinnah Terminal can be exorbitant.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Evolution said:

Furniture, paintings and books might be more expensive in Canada than your freight cost. My freight cost (consist of furniture and other personal stuff) from China to Vancouver was about CA 2400. If you decide to forward your belongings, I suggest you make a visit to Canada first for house hunting purpose.