+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child with expired COPR

ayaron

Star Member
Aug 4, 2019
Hello forum members:
Got some really complex situation and I am here to ask for any possible solutions from you guys.

Here's my situation: Me and my wife are inland applicants and we have already landed as PR December last year, we are now still in Canada since then. Our child is in our home country holding an expired CoPR (expired on Aug 28, 2020).
I don't have enough holidays to go back to my country to bring our kid here in Canada, let alone the mandatory 14-day quarantine in our country. So we are kinda stuck with no plan but to wait until covid situation gets better.

Now I am thinking about a scenario: my parents book a flight and come with my kid to come to Canada (it is allowed for family members of PR to enter Canada) as visitors, and once they enter Canada, I can take my child and do the border landing with her expired COPR. I mean, is this possible for someone who has a PRV and COPR, but enter Canada with their visitor visa, and then landing at the border at a later time?

Or, if that plan above doesn't work out, can I go and meet them at the airport when they arrive Canada, so I can do the PR landing process right away for my kid, that way my kid doesn't need to enter as a visitor. Not sure if I can do that because I am not travelling with them but meet my dependent in the airport.

Either way, scenario 1 or 2, do they make any sense?
Any other suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!

-Aaron

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello forum members:
Got some really complex situation and I am here to ask for any possible solutions from you guys.

Here's my situation: Me and my wife are inland applicants and we have already landed as PR December last year, we are now still in Canada since then. Our child is in our home country holding an expired CoPR (expired on Aug 28, 2020).
I don't have enough holidays to go back to my country to bring our kid here in Canada, let alone the mandatory 14-day quarantine in our country. So we are kinda stuck with no plan but to wait until covid situation gets better.

Now I am thinking about a scenario: my parents book a flight and come with my kid to come to Canada (it is allowed for family members of PR to enter Canada) as visitors, and once they enter Canada, I can take my child and do the border landing with her expired COPR. I mean, is this possible for someone who has a PRV and COPR, but enter Canada with their visitor visa, and then landing at the border at a later time?

Or, if that plan above doesn't work out, can I go and meet them at the airport when they arrive Canada, so I can do the PR landing process right away for my kid, that way my kid doesn't need to enter as a visitor. Not sure if I can do that because I am not travelling with them but meet my dependent in the airport.

-Aaron
I don't think it's possible for your child to land with an expired COPR. You'll need to contact IRCC and get the COPR extended.

Does the child hold a valid TRV?

ayaron

Star Member
Aug 4, 2019
I don't think it's possible for your child to land with an expired COPR. You'll need to contact IRCC and get the COPR extended.

Does the child hold a valid TRV?
hi, yes you can because of COVID-19.
Quote:
Expired COPR and PRV
Travelling from any country other than the US (group 3)
If the COPR and PRV were issued on or before March 18, 2020 but are now expired, the applicant

• is exempt from the travel restrictions
  • can travel to Canada for non-discretionary reasons with the COPR and PRV in order to settle and live in Canada as a permanent resident and
  • must have an acceptable plan to quarantine for 14 days in Canada
Applicants must check the issue date in the Application Details section of their COPR to see if this applies to them.

Source:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/permanent-residence.html

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
hi, yes you can because of COVID-19.
Quote:
Expired COPR and PRV
Travelling from any country other than the US (group 3)
If the COPR and PRV were issued on or before March 18, 2020 but are now expired, the applicant

• is exempt from the travel restrictions
  • can travel to Canada for non-discretionary reasons with the COPR and PRV in order to settle and live in Canada as a permanent resident and
  • must have an acceptable plan to quarantine for 14 days in Canada
Applicants must check the issue date in the Application Details section of their COPR to see if this applies to them.

Source:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/permanent-residence.html
Ok - that's good.

In that case just have your parents bring your child to Canada as a visitor and complete landing formalities when they enter Canada with the child. It's pretty simple.

Jkdumapit

Dec 27, 2020
Hello forum members:

-Aaron
hello aaron,
I just want to ask for an update regarding your situation because we are on the same situation,
My child is still in our home country,the immigration contacted us we replied immediately but until now no response from them.
Your reply will be highly appreciated.

ayaron

Star Member
Aug 4, 2019
Hello,
Thanks for reply.
Yes, I also got that email from IRCC asking something like: if you’re still interested in becoming PR and if so, are you ready to travel, those kinda questions.

I replied immediately saying yes we are, and explained the situation mostly the same way as I did in this post.

I got that email on Dec 1st 2020, and it’s been more than three weeks since I replied. But in the email I mentioned we are planning to travel on May 1st 2021, so I am guessing they will email me the authorization letter around or before that date.

By the way, I called IRCC before and confirmed that I, as primary applicant, don’t need to personally bring my kids for landing, dependents can land on their own. I’m my case, I have to ask my parents to travel with my kid, and I might also need to write a letter for my parents so they can show it to the border officers to explain everything as they don’t speak no english.

hello aaron,
I just want to ask for an update regarding your situation because we are on the same situation,
My child is still in our home country,the immigration contacted us we replied immediately but until now no response from them.
Your reply will be highly appreciated.

Jkdumapit

Dec 27, 2020
Thank you very much for this update aaron.
In my case they contacted me on october7 and replied to them the next day but up to this date nothing. I requested to let my child come on feb or march2021.
I just spoke to another member of this forum and he just got his familys authorization letter last monday. According to the letter they dont give hard copy of the copr and visa the family just need to bring that authorization letter to prove that they can come inside canada.

Jkdumapit

Dec 27, 2020
Hi ayaron,

i just want to ask you for an update regarding authorization letter,if they already email you one or contacted you? Because I havent heard from the immigration since October though I told them we will be ready last Feb-March. I raised a webform and they said it still on process.
I will really appreciate if you could let me know your situation or give me any advise.
Thank you and stay safe.
Hello,
Thanks for reply.
Yes, I also got that email from IRCC asking something like: if you’re still interested in becoming PR and if so, are you ready to travel, those kinda questions.

I replied immediately saying yes we are, and explained the situation mostly the same way as I did in this post.

I got that email on Dec 1st 2020, and it’s been more than three weeks since I replied. But in the email I mentioned we are planning to travel on May 1st 2021, so I am guessing they will email me the authorization letter around or before that date.

By the way, I called IRCC before and confirmed that I, as primary applicant, don’t need to personally bring my kids for landing, dependents can land on their own. I’m my case, I have to ask my parents to travel with my kid, and I might also need to write a letter for my parents so they can show it to the border officers to explain everything as they don’t speak no english.

ayaron

Star Member
Aug 4, 2019
Hi ayaron,

i just want to ask you for an update regarding authorization letter,if they already email you one or contacted you? Because I havent heard from the immigration since October though I told them we will be ready last Feb-March. I raised a webform and they said it still on process.
I will really appreciate if you could let me know your situation or give me any advise.
Thank you and stay safe.
hi Jkdumapit:
Unfortunately I didn't get anything either.
I replied email at Dec 2020 specifying our kid is ready to travel around May and no response since then, so I raised another webform about a month ago asking is there any update for the AL, and also uploaded all the relevant documents, and then I got their email on Apr 17 saying they have forwarded my inquiry to responsible office, that's it..
This is the timeline and I am getting anxious because I am almost sure we won't get anything in May, which is the proposed date of the travel that I made clearly in my first email.
I don't know, just keep waiting, I don't see any other choice. what about you? It seems like you mentioned you tell IRCC Feb-Mar is the time your kid is ready to travel didn't you? what happened after ? did you get AL or anything from them?

-Aaron

Jkdumapit

Dec 27, 2020
hi ayaron,
Just an update finally i received the email from cic today asking if they should continue with my application and ofcourse i replied immediately.
I hope you get the email soon and if u already did im happy.
Regards.
hi Jkdumapit:
Unfortunately I didn't get anything either.
I replied email at Dec 2020 specifying our kid is ready to travel around May and no response since then, so I raised another webform about a month ago asking is there any update for the AL, and also uploaded all the relevant documents, and then I got their email on Apr 17 saying they have forwarded my inquiry to responsible office, that's it..
This is the timeline and I am getting anxious because I am almost sure we won't get anything in May, which is the proposed date of the travel that I made clearly in my first email.
I don't know, just keep waiting, I don't see any other choice. what about you? It seems like you mentioned you tell IRCC Feb-Mar is the time your kid is ready to travel didn't you? what happened after ? did you get AL or anything from them?

-Aaron