+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child Benefits

Mar 27, 2023
Hi,

Me and my husband with my daughter moved to canada in Jan 2023. In March 2023 I got pregnant. I Have OHIP card So does it mean my pregnancy is covered in this and it is free of cost?

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Hi,

Me and my husband with my daughter moved to canada in Jan 2023. In March 2023 I got pregnant. I Have OHIP card So does it mean my pregnancy is covered in this and it is free of cost?
Yeah - a valid healthcard doesn't discriminate on your immigration status. As long as it's valid, you get the exact same coverage anyone gets. Your healthcare is effectively free for anything except for most dental, drugs etc.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

You will be covered for OHIP covered services if you meet the residency requirement required to qualify for OHIP. For the first year that would be living in Ontario for the first 5 out of 6 months and 6 months of 12 months. Ontario must be your home. You will have to continue meeting the residency requirements or else you can be asked to repay any health services you use. Same thing for your child once they are born. Are you a PR? Are you or your partner currently employed? Do you have an extended health benefit plan through your employer? Things like medication, private room or semi-private room coverage for prenatal care (not delivery) or postpartum care in hospital, etc. are some of the things that aren’t OHIP covered but if you have extended health benefits can be covered or partially covered.

Reactions: moscatojuices

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Why is this comment relevant to this discussion? We're not discussing capitalism and modern monetary theory....
Because claiming health care is "free" invites abuse of an already overwhelmed system. If you want it to continue, it's wise to avoid calling it free.

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Because claiming health care is "free" invites abuse of an already overwhelmed system. If you want it to continue, it's wise to avoid calling it free.
But why are you pointing this out in an immigration forum where an OP is asking about healthcare services in the context of a pregnancy? This is not the forum to discuss your question.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Because everyone keeps saying it's free....it isn't.

"So does it mean my pregnancy is covered in this and it is free of cost?"

"Your healthcare is effectively free for anything except for most dental, drugs etc."

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Because everyone keeps saying it's free....it isn't.

"So does it mean my pregnancy is covered in this and it is free of cost?"

"Your healthcare is effectively free for anything except for most dental, drugs etc."
Just let the OP have her child and leave it at that. Thanks.