+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child benefits and being abroad

rami3332

Jun 15, 2020
Hello,
I am PR, I have filed my CRA tax report for the year 2021. I have been living abroad with my wife and kids for almost 3 months and planning to go back to Canada in August 2022. Will I lose my child's benefits? Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,
I am PR, I have filed my CRA tax report for the year 2021. I have been living abroad with my wife and kids for almost 3 months and planning to go back to Canada in August 2022. Will I lose my child's benefits? Thank you!
You should be notifying CRA of your absence so they can determine whether you are entitled to CCB. The goal of CCB is to help families with the high cost of caring for a child while in Canada so yes there is a chance you be asked to pay back CCB. Much better to be upfront with CRA and not to ever receive CCB then having them contact you and ask for the money back when you may have already spent it.

Your situation is also more complex. Looks like you only received PR in 2001 and you were working while while you applied for TRP because otherwise you didn’t qualify to work. It’s unclear whether you’re letter indicated that you worked without status while applying for TRP which would mean a lot more CCB could be asked to be repaid.

Last edited: