+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child Benefit

Sarah19851234

Oct 3, 2017
Hi everyone, I am a Canadian citizen and I moved back to Canada in August of 2017 after working and residing in Botswana for three years. I moved back to Canada with my husband and son. My husband is a permanent resident to Canada, my son is a citizen of Canada (albeit born in Africa).

My question is. Are we eligible for the child tax benefit since we did not file tax returns in Canada for the last three years (we paid tax in Botswana). We are now working and living in Canada full time. I can't seem to find this information online.

Thanks in advance.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi everyone, I am a Canadian citizen and I moved back to Canada in August of 2017 after working and residing in Botswana for three years. I moved back to Canada with my husband and son. My husband is a permanent resident to Canada, my son is a citizen of Canada (albeit born in Africa).

My question is. Are we eligible for the child tax benefit since we did not file tax returns in Canada for the last three years (we paid tax in Botswana). We are now working and living in Canada full time. I can't seem to find this information online.

Thanks in advance.
1. You wont start receiving the CCB until you file your income tax report for 2017. The payment will be back dated based on your pro-rated income tax for 2017. See: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/child-family-benefits/canada-child-benefit-overview.html

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Apply online in your myaccount in CRA website or mail the RC66 form, CRA will send you a letter requesting your household income for 2016, so your income in Botswana converted to CAD. CRA will back pay you from August 2017.