+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child benefit with one parent works abroad

rmwahab

Star Member
Sep 21, 2011
Dear All,

I have a question, we just moved to Canada two months back, but I am not able to find a job while my previous work in my home country offers me to have my job again and due to the financial conditions I may need to go back to have some sort of income, my question: can we apply for child benefit in Canada or not since we will have some sort of income from abroad?

Thank you all

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear All,

I have a question, we just moved to Canada two months back, but I am not able to find a job while my previous work in my home country offers me to have my job again and due to the financial conditions I may need to go back to have some sort of income, my question: can we apply for child benefit in Canada or not since we will have some sort of income from abroad?

Thank you all
Yes if the child is in Canada and so is the adult filing for CCB. Even if you work abroad you will be a resident for tax purposes and will need to file your taxes on your international income in Canada.

Reactions: jddd

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
The child and the other adult MUST live in Canada. Just clarifying that. You must file income taxes from your employment abroad.

rmwahab

Star Member
Sep 21, 2011
The child and the other adult MUST live in Canada. Just clarifying that. You must file income taxes from your employment abroad.
Thank you for the reply, but just to clarify:

1- We can apply for child benefit? yes or no
2- We have also to fill income tax for my income abroad, what is the relation between this and the child benefit?

Regards,

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Thank you for the reply, but just to clarify:

1- We can apply for child benefit? yes or no
2- We have also to fill income tax for my income abroad, what is the relation between this and the child benefit?

Regards,
1. Yes, as long as your spouse and child will remain living in Canada. If they will go back to India with you, NO.

2. If you do not file your “world income” they will put your benefit on hold meaning you will not receive CCB until you declare ALL your family income including those from India.

rmwahab

Star Member
Sep 21, 2011
1. Yes, as long as your spouse and child will remain living in Canada. If they will go back to India with you, NO.

2. If you do not file your “world income” they will put your benefit on hold meaning you will not receive CCB until you declare ALL your family income including those from India.
Another question, does this mean that the eligibility for child benefit is being determined based on the income in India or what?

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Another question, does this mean that the eligibility for child benefit is being determined based on the income in India or what?
Since you are new to Canada, it will be based on your income from India. I had to give CRA my government documents proving how much income I had where I was from when my spouse applied for CCB. They put our CCB on hold until I gave them those.

rmwahab

Star Member
Sep 21, 2011
Since you are new to Canada, it will be based on your income from India. I had to give CRA my government documents proving how much income I had where I was from when my spouse applied for CCB. They put our CCB on hold until I gave them those.
So the level of income in India determines whether you should take the child benefit or you should not, right?

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
So the level of income in India determines whether you should take the child benefit or you should not, right?
No. Your total world income (India or other countries does not matter) will determine how much CCB you receive. If you are eligible then you are, just a matter of computation.

rmwahab

Star Member
Sep 21, 2011
No. Your total world income (India or other countries does not matter) will determine how much CCB you receive. If you are eligible then you are, just a matter of computation.
just an assumption, assume my income is equivalent to 3,000 CAD and another one with the same circumstances has the income of 6,000 CAD.

Both of us will receive child benefit? or there is an income threshold, where after it I cannot apply for it?

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
just an assumption, assume my income is equivalent to 3,000 CAD and another one with the same circumstances has the income of 6,000 CAD.

Both of us will receive child benefit? or there is an income threshold, where after it I cannot apply for it?
I think you should call CRA.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

You need to do some basic research on CCB. The amount received is based on total income.