+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child Benefit Staying Outside Canada

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
YOU MUST BE JOKING WITH YOUR POOR DEFENSE. Read through the primary residential ties here: quote
"
Step 1: Determine if you have residential ties with Canada
The most important thing to consider when determining your residency status in Canada for income tax purposes is whether or not you maintain or establish significant residential ties with Canada.

Significant residential ties to Canada include:

"

This means that if you can get atleast one of those ties, you are eligible for ccb and other tax benefits....this is very applicable to me but you have refused to learn
You can "have a home" in Canada if you leave some personal belongings in Canada. Yes, the officer on the call agree this: I do pay $100 for my stuff in a friend's garage per month...Basically it's up to you.
And right now I own a house in Canada, and my family moves to US. Doesn't matter if I rent it out or not, I can actually choose to be a non-resident for tax purpose or not.
If I emphasis on MOVING out, I am a non-resident. If I emphasis on HOME in Canada, I can still be resident for tax purpose. Yes, I called CRA and got the answer: it's up to you.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
To be or not to be an factual resident is very tricky. Mostly it's up to you when you answer the question, and PROPER answer make you yes or not.
I am not kidding. Yes, 20 years ago when I returned, I was asked to do this, and my call to CRA, a nice guy clearly told me if I wanted to receive CCB, just not to choose some option.
Yes, you choose to be and you are. And of cause you need to file your tax return for your world income for the period. That's my experience for CCB.
For some people (like your case) they can choose to picture it more like they are factual residents or not. Some it's more clear cut (e.g. whole family moved back to home country and do not own any home in Canada).
I like that you point out if deem afactual resident may be CCB can be retain BUT he/she will need to report world wide income for tax return.
(can't have your cake and eat it too)

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can "have a home" in Canada if you leave some personal belongings in Canada. Yes, the officer on the call agree this: I do pay $100 for my stuff in a friend's garage per month...Basically it's up to you.
And right now I own a house in Canada, and my family moves to US. Doesn't matter if I rent it out or not, I can actually choose to be a non-resident for tax purpose or not.
If I emphasis on MOVING out, I am a non-resident. If I emphasis on HOME in Canada, I can still be resident for tax purpose. Yes, I called CRA and got the answer: it's up to you.
You must be HONEST not chose the option that will make you a tax resident. Having a home in Canada doesn’t mean you are definitely a tax resident. Paying $100 to store your stuff is also not having a home in Canada. If you are living a working in the US you and your primary resident is not in Canada there is a very good chance you aren’t entitled to CCB. Why would you be entitled to CCB while living and working in the US? Customer service agent is often incorrect which is why you usually need to fill out the form declaring your situation. Hopefully CRA will realize you are not entitled to CCB sooner rather than later and then you’ll have to pay back all the CCB plus penalties.

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
I will say again and again, you are illiterate on this topic; moreover, you are not an agent and not trained to know the rudiments of this topic. All you want to fight people for is that they should not be collecting ccb if they live outside Canada, I can clearly see your jealousy here and this why you have always decided to keep jumping from one thread/topic to another just to fight against this - how is this your problem, thus giving false message. But I will tell you, again and again, that; if you hold ONLY one of those primary ties, you can receive ccb no matter where your kids live as long as you are considered a factual resident.....it is written boldly but you refused to read it.....you need to unlearn, learn and relearn.....it's up to you.
I learned that, CCB benefit goes with TAX responsibility, nothing really related with physically living in Canada.
Honestly, you have to pay tax to Canada under some rules. You hardly find any rules STOP you pay tax to Canada. That say, it's easier for every one to pay Tax, thus still qualify for CCB and other benefit.
I don't think CCB is very important for general people. Mostly, richer people pay more tax than CCB get-back. It's a generous gift for family facing difficulty, that's all.
I am very pleasant to pay tax to support.

Last edited:

tetete

Sep 28, 2010
If you are not living in Canada, you are either Non-resident, Deemed Resident, or Factual Resident.
Only Non-Resident will not get CCB and only Non-Resident doesn't need to file tax returns with CRA.

To be considered as a non-resident is not easy. You need to prove to the CRA that you don't have any ties with Canada and are not planning to come back soon.

If you are not sure about your status, send the NR73 form to CRA and get their opinion.

Simply put, if you are still required to pay Canadian income tax, you can get CCB regardless of where you physically reside.

No one should take this personal, and I totally agree with what bricksonly mentioned above,

"
CCB is very important for general people. Mostly, richer people pay more tax than CCB get-back. It's a generous gift for family facing difficulty, that's all.
I am very pleasant to pay tax to support.

"

Reactions: zionplace