+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child Benefit CCB without Tax Filing

kamil86

Mar 21, 2019
Hello guys,

I moved to ON on 9 Mar 2020 with wife and 2 little kids. I was told by an existing PR holder that he simply filed for CCB by filling out a form with his wife as primary applicant and sent it to the Tax centre and started receiving child benefit without needing to file tax return as he also arrived around March. I have also done the same.

Its been 1 month since I filed but haven't heard back. Also, I'm continuing my job from my home country but its a low paying job. I don't know how to apply for all possible benefits to support myself and my family. Please help guys.

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Hard to say, but I remembered when my wife applied for it in 2016, we received a call back from CRA asking me to submit my 2015 tax return which will allow them to calculate how much they can pay. As I was not in Canada in 2015 and my incomes were not from Canada, they just asked me to declare zero dollar as 2015 income. You will need tax return for sure as every year CRA recalculates how much they will pay your children according to your yearly incomes. I do not know who told you that you can apply without a tax return but this is my own experience and every year in July my wife receives a mail from CRA telling her how much they will be paying for CCB according to our previous year tax return.

Reactions: kamil86

kamil86

Mar 21, 2019
Hard to say, but I remembered when my wife applied for it in 2016, we received a call back from CRA asking me to submit my 2015 tax return which will allow them to calculate how much they can pay. As I was not in Canada in 2015 and my incomes were not from Canada, they just asked me to declare zero dollar as 2015 income. You will need tax return for sure as every year CRA recalculates how much they will pay your children according to your yearly incomes. I do not know who told you that you can apply without a tax return but this is my own experience and every year in July my wife receives a mail from CRA telling her how much they will be paying for CCB according to our previous year tax return.
I also declared my income on the form but they asked you to file a return for 2015 for 0 dollars in income?

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
I also declared my income on the form but they asked you to file a retur
Yes they did, I actually told them I wasn't a Canadian tax resident in 2015 and didn't have any Canada incomes. The agent took note and I did not physically fill a tax return for 2015. Years later in my cra online account my 2015 tax return shows zero dollars income.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes they did, I actually told them I wasn't a Canadian tax resident in 2015 and didn't have any Canada incomes. The agent took note and I did not physically fill a tax return for 2015. Years later in my cra online account my 2015 tax return shows zero dollars income.
There is no requirement to file taxes if you weren’t a tax resident. You do have to show previous income. It takes a while so I am not surprised that OP has not heard yet. Covid is only likely to delay things. if your job from your home country is low paying would suggest trying to find a job in Canada even if it is a low waged job and/or have your wife also look for work. All families arriving need to be prepared to support themselves for at least 6 months when moving to Canada.

kamil86

Mar 21, 2019
Ahh, okay. That's exactly what I'm hoping that I get approved for support without having to file taxes. I have read that both federal and Ontario and Trillium benefits are deposited together. Are there any else benefits too that I can avail?

kamil86

Mar 21, 2019
There is no requirement to file taxes if you weren’t a tax resident. You do have to show previous income. It takes a while so I am not surprised that OP has not heard yet. Covid is only likely to delay things. if your job from your home country is low paying would suggest trying to find a job in Canada even if it is a low waged job and/or have your wife also look for work. All families arriving need to be prepared to support themselves for at least 6 months when moving to Canada.
Yes I'm looking for any job I can get. Right now my gross is $3.2k per month. Any idea how much I should be eligible for? The calculator says around $1.4k per month but it also asked expected future income for next year but I didn't answer that question. Any idea on other benefits I can apply for and any tax attorney you know who can help me with these financial nitty-gritty. TIA

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes I'm looking for any job I can get. Right now my gross is $3.2k per month. Any idea how much I should be eligible for? The calculator says around $1.4k per month but it also asked expected future income for next year but I didn't answer that question. Any idea on other benefits I can apply for and any tax attorney you know who can help me with these financial nitty-gritty. TIA
You don’t need a tax attorney.