+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child adopt

sabbiriba2003

Jun 20, 2018
I am PR of Canada. We remained childless for last 6 years and now want to adopt a child in Bangladesh before permanent move to Canada.Can any one tell what process to be followed to bring the adopted child to Canada

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@Bryanna I know there are specific rules about adoption in some south Asian countries. The process to adopt and bring the child to Canada could be quite lengthy. How long have you spent in Canada? When did you land?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@Bryanna I know there are specific rules about adoption in some south Asian countries. The process to adopt and bring the child to Canada could be quite lengthy. How long have you spent in Canada? When did you land?
Wrong poster...

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I know but I want @Bryanna to look at this because she knows the rules.
To my knowledge, there are some major obstacles in adopting a minor child from Bangladesh:
Bangladesh does not allow adoption of a Bangladesh child. The legal provisions there only allow for legal guardianship i.e. limited or conditional adoption. This legal guardianship is not considered as valid adoption by Canada. So, I'm not fully sure how this will eventually work out.

Also, only Bangladesh citizens can apply for legal guardianship. If I understand correctly, the OP must maintain dual citizenship (Bangladesh and Canada) if the OP becomes a Canadian citizen during the legal guardianship/adoption process.

As for the process:
There are two steps for intercountry adoption i.e. the legal guardianship/adoption process itself + the immigration process.

To start the adoption process, the OP must contact the Provincial Adoption Authority in the province where s/he lives/intends to move back to + the central adoption authority in Bangladesh to determine whether or not unconditional, full adoption of a Bangladeshi child is possible.

If adoption is possible then it is not as simple as the local court granting 'Legal Custody and Guardianship' of the child.... or the child's parents (if living)/the adoption agency signing an affidavit to hand over the custody of the child. There are complex procedures and paperwork to be approved before guardianship/adoption is allowed.

If the child is a relative of the sponsoring prospective parents then extra scrutiny could be possible (at the immigration stage i.e. IRCC) to determine whether it is an adoption of convenience.

Basically, the child must be legally available for unconditional adoption (through a documented process) + the legal procedure for adoption plus the paperwork must be in sync with the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in respect of Intercountry Adoption which Canada has signed. However, Bangladesh is not a party to this convention.

In short:
The adoption paperwork must be completely legal and acceptable to IRCC after following due process and by adhering to the legal provisions.

It's not advisable to go through this adoption process as a DIY. I recommend the OP must spend considerable time researching the process specifically for Intercountry Adoptions from Bangladesh to Canada. S/he must also consult with legal experts

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How about if the child belongs to one of those Rohingya people who took refuge in Bangladesh?