+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CHANGING OF DLI AFTER ARRIVING IN CANADA WITHOUT ENROLLING IN YOUR OLD SCHOOL

Greeny786

Champion Member
Jul 12, 2021
Children of a full-time student
Full-time students who take a leave from studies that is longer than 150 days are required to do either of the following:

Even if the full-time student (parent) changes their status to visitor, their children may continue to study without a study permit, as long as the parent’s previous study permit is still valid.

In the case of a parent who holds a valid visitor record, due to taking a leave from their studies that was longer than 150 days, and whose study permit has expired, their children need to apply for their own study permit from inside Canada, as their parent is no longer authorized to work or study in Canada, per subsection 30(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA).

However, if the spouse of a full-time student who changed their status to visitor still holds a valid work permit, issued under Labour Market Impact Assessment exemption code C42, or an open study permit, the children continue to be authorized to study at the pre-school, primary or secondary level without a study permit. Minors studying in Canada at the preschool, primary or secondary level without a study permit, pursuant to subsection A30(2), can apply for a study permit from within Canada, pursuant to subparagraph R215(1)(f)(i).

Greeny786

Champion Member
Jul 12, 2021
However, if the spouse of a full-time student who changed their status to visitor still holds a valid work permit, issued under Labour Market Impact Assessment exemption code C42, or an open study permit, the children continue to be authorized to study at the pre-school, primary or secondary level without a study permit. Minors studying in Canada at the preschool, primary or secondary level without a study permit, pursuant to subsection A30(2), can apply for a study permit from within Canada, pursuant to subparagraph R215(1)(f)(i).

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Personally, I wouldn’t risk it. I’d rather follow the simple interpretation of the rules rather than find a loophole in the system. Less headache. But that’s just me.

Greeny786

Champion Member
Jul 12, 2021
Personally, I wouldn’t risk it. I’d rather follow the simple interpretation of the rules rather than find a loophole in the system. Less headache. But that’s just me.
Not just u... me also and i also advized her clearly. Thanks alot for ur valuables guidance on this topic. Truly appreciated

Reactions: rogelcorral

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Not just u... me also and i also advized her clearly. Thanks alot for ur valuables guidance on this topic. Truly appreciated
Our investment as international students are just too big to toy around with. That’s why I always try to be on the safe side. Better be safe than sorry.

Kezee

Aug 5, 2021
I called IRCC today on the phone and explained my situation, and they also asked for my application number. They said I could go ahead with my new school as long as it does not exceed 150 days before the new semester starts, so technically, it is also considered as actively studying while you're on authorized leave. Changing schools also counts as authorized leave.

The rule of applying for a new study permit is only applicable when you change DLI outside of Canada, but in the future, whoever decides to do what I did, please confirm if it is still allowed to change DLI without studying in your old school first. because you do not want to go through the anxiety, i had to go through during the past couple of days

Reactions: aspirant256

Greeny786

Champion Member
Jul 12, 2021
I called IRCC today on the phone and explained my situation, and they also asked for my application number. They said I could go ahead with my new school as long as it does not exceed 150 days before the new semester starts, so technically, it is also considered as actively studying while you're on authorized leave. Changing schools also counts as authorized leave.

The rule of applying for a new study permit is only applicable when you change DLI outside of Canada, but in the future, whoever decides to do what I did, please confirm if it is still allowed to change DLI without studying in your old school first. because you do not want to go through the anxiety, i had to go through during the past couple of days
150 days understable but any solution when its comes from January to September intake irs seems 8 months or 250 days approximately

aspirant256

Champion Member
Oct 29, 2020

Glad it worked out for you. Be it a lesson for everyone here that some suggestions here are extremely ridiculous and talks of the extremes when the solution could be really simple and situation under control. Never take anyone's word here as final and always cross-check wherever you can. Good luck to you!

Reactions: Kezee

Kezee

Aug 5, 2021
My study permit extension just got approved, for those of you last year that changed schools without enrolling I hope you did not change your status or applied for a new study permit.

Reactions: aspirant256