+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing college

rishi7

Jan 15, 2024
hello,

i just drop off from my college (January) and got the offer letter from another college for fall term (September), so am i able to stay in canada till september?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yess i did study at that college for two semester
You are not an active student since you are taking a 9 month break and not taking authorized leave. You cannot take that long of leave on the same study permit. So stop working if you are. Change status to visitor. Update file with new LOA. IRCC may ask for proof of funds and paid tuition.

“D. Leave from studies

Students may be required or may wish to take leave from their studies while in Canada. For the purpose of assessing if a student is actively pursuing their studies, any leave taken from a program of studies in Canada should not exceed 150 days from the date the leave commenced and must be authorized by their DLI.

A student on leave who begins or resumes their studies within 150 days from the date the leave commenced (that is, the date the leave was granted by the institution) is considered to be actively pursuing studies during their leave. If a student does not resume their studies within 150 days, they should do either of the following:

• change their status (that is, change to visitor status)
  • leave Canada
If they do not change their status or leave Canada, they are considered non-compliant with their study permit conditions.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/assessing-conditions.html#leave

rishi7

Jan 15, 2024
if i change my status to visitor then can i able to change it back to as a student when my study started?