+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change mind

Young0021

Sep 22, 2014
Hello Friends,
My friend has a problem. She just got the notice from CIC to write the test for citizenship,but she changed her mind now. She has to go back to China to look after her old parents for certain time, it is not very convenient for her to use a Canadian passport to enter China and live there since China does recognize dual nationalities. She likes to have the citizenship of Canada five years late in 2018 or 2019.How should she do now? inform CIC and not take the test/ or fail to test? or other way? which will not have any negtive impacts on her future re-application for citizenship.

many thanks,
Young0021

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Young0021 said:
Hello Friends,
My friend has a problem. She just got the notice from CIC to write the test for citizenship,but she changed her mind now. She has to go back to China to look after her old parents for certain time, it is not very convenient for her to use a Canadian passport to enter China and live there since China does recognize dual nationalities. She likes to have the citizenship of Canada five years late in 2018 or 2019.How should she do now? inform CIC and not take the test/ or fail to test? or other way? which will not have any negtive impacts on her future re-application for citizenship.

many thanks,
Young0021
If she doesnt show up to the test then they will close her file and send her a letter informing her that her file is closed. It will have negative impact on future application. Whats worse is if she plans to be away for more than 3 years she will risk losing her PR status and cant go back to Canada.

BLT

Jul 30, 2014
Call them to tell that you want to withdraw the application and give a reason.
This always happens to applicants from countries that don't allow dual citizenship, like China. It's like a one way ticket, no return. My home country doesn't allow dual citizenship too (not China), and it took me quite long to make the decision.