+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Chances that got in-person pick-up for PR Renewal

shirlynl

May 10, 2021
Hi friends,
me and my husband are trying to renew our pr card. Our residency days are just about 740.
should I take risk leaving Canada, until cards are mailed to my friends' place? Or should I stay here until I got the new card, as IRCC might ask me to pick up the card in person?
Thanks everyone!:)

Last edited:

shirlynl

May 10, 2021
Up to you. But why do you want to leave Canada?
Thanks for replying! My kid is now out of Canada as they don't have to do online school and have less chances getting Covid..... My husband and I came back just to renew the pr card. He decided to leave anyway, but I'm not sure if I should wait here to make sure I can get the card

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for replying! My kid is now out of Canada as they don't have to do online school and have less chances getting Covid..... My husband and I came back just to renew the pr card. He decided to leave anyway, but I'm not sure if I should wait here to make sure I can get the card
If you stay a year more or so, you can apply for citizenship and once being citizen, you don't need PR card.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
If you stay a year more or so, you can apply for citizenship and once being citizen, you don't need PR card.
I'd add as a point worth serious consideration, since it seems there are several family members (presumably also 'on the edge' in terms of residency obligation):

In the event of any surprises or issues with residency obligation, PR card, PRTD, etc - having ONE (at least) family member in compliance and able to sponsor other family members may be a valuable administrative back-up.

In covid times when some have had serious issues travelling / getting stuck abroad, it's worth keeping in mind. Many cases of PRs abroad longer than expected - and while H&C often helps in terms of getting back to Canada, it's not the same as being in compliance with RO for some specific purposes like sponsorship.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Will you continue to meet the residency obligation if you leave Canada? Or will you start losing early residency days and no longer meet RO?

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
Hi friends,
me and my husband are trying to renew our pr card. Our residency days are just about 740.
should I take risk leaving Canada, until cards are mailed to my friends' place? Or should I stay here until I got the new card, as IRCC might ask me to pick up the card in person?
Thanks everyone!:)

I'd say it depends strongly on when you accumulated those 740 days (if some of those days were accumulated at the beginning of the 5 years, you will lose them and by the time they process it, you may be in breach of your RO). If you have more than 740 days and those were accumulated entirely recently, you probably are fine to go but there is the strong possibility that they would ask you to pick up the cards in person since you are close to the 740 and they may know that you are out of the country.

You say about so hopefully you mean a little more than, not fewer than 740 days.

Even once you get your cards though, your PR status is not linked to the dates of your card, it DOES NOT give you 5 more years, it is on a rolling 5 years, which means each day you gain one day (either away or in Canada) and lose one day (either away or in Canada). With a valid card, if you don't meet the RO, you may be reported at the border and lose your PR status.