+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Certificate of qualification in B.C.

legionnaire

Sep 21, 2019
Dear everyone,

thank you for all the priceless information provided in this forum. Finally the hard work paid off for me and I'm applying for PR under the CEC stream. I am currently at the ITA stage and I'm in doubt as to whether I should list my certificate of qualification for the NOC code 7384 - position Rope Access Technician.

It seems to be that this matter will be open to interpretation by the Immigration Officer because the work isn't regulated by the B.C.'s Industry Training Authority but it is regulated by Worksafe BC.

Worksafe BC states in the link provided below that "In B.C., workers must be trained and certified to perform rope access work.". The International Rope Access Trade Association (IRATA) and the Society of Professional Rope Access Technicians (SPRAT) both issue certificates.

I have both of these certifications as I wouldn't be able to legally do this job in B.C. without having at least one of them.

However, technically these certificates aren't issued by neither the body that governs trades in a Canadian province or territory, nor by a federal authority but they are definitely a requirement for doing this job in BC and the job position falls under the Federal Skilled Trades Class category of the National Occupational Classification.

Would someone be able to recommend should I try to claim having a certificate of qualification although it isn't technically issued by the body that governs the trade? I'm sure that other positions under the same NOC 7384 "Other trades and related occupations" might have the same issue.

Also, my score appears to be 503 with the certificate of qualification, which is supposed to give 50 points but when I calculate the score using the CRS tool without the certificate of qualification, it drops to only 479 points, which should still be more than enough to be successful in the next draw.

Could someone please tell me if it's possible that I won't lose whole 50 points and that the CRS tool is correct? Should I simply disregard the certificate of qualification due to lack of clear understanding?

I have tried contacting both WorkSafeBC and ITA BC regarding this and unfortunately, I haven't received an answer. I did have a WorkSafeBC employee call me on the phone and confirmed that if I do have the IRATA or SPRAT certification, it would be counted as a certificate of qualification but I am not 100 percent sure they knew what they were talking about as they don't work for CIC and don't deal with immigration issues.

Sorry for the crazy long post and thanks a lot for your time!

Best regards

https://www.worksafebc.com/en/health-safety/education-training-certification/rope-access?origin=s&returnurl=https://www.worksafebc.com/en/search#q=rope%20access&sort=relevancy&f:language-facet=[English]

Grasshopper_

Oct 22, 2018
Dear everyone,

thank you for all the priceless information provided in this forum. Finally the hard work paid off for me and I'm applying for PR under the CEC stream. I am currently at the ITA stage and I'm in doubt as to whether I should list my certificate of qualification for the NOC code 7384 - position Rope Access Technician.

It seems to be that this matter will be open to interpretation by the Immigration Officer because the work isn't regulated by the B.C.'s Industry Training Authority but it is regulated by Worksafe BC.

Worksafe BC states in the link provided below that "In B.C., workers must be trained and certified to perform rope access work.". The International Rope Access Trade Association (IRATA) and the Society of Professional Rope Access Technicians (SPRAT) both issue certificates.

I have both of these certifications as I wouldn't be able to legally do this job in B.C. without having at least one of them.

However, technically these certificates aren't issued by neither the body that governs trades in a Canadian province or territory, nor by a federal authority but they are definitely a requirement for doing this job in BC and the job position falls under the Federal Skilled Trades Class category of the National Occupational Classification.

Would someone be able to recommend should I try to claim having a certificate of qualification although it isn't technically issued by the body that governs the trade? I'm sure that other positions under the same NOC 7384 "Other trades and related occupations" might have the same issue.

Also, my score appears to be 503 with the certificate of qualification, which is supposed to give 50 points but when I calculate the score using the CRS tool without the certificate of qualification, it drops to only 479 points, which should still be more than enough to be successful in the next draw.

Could someone please tell me if it's possible that I won't lose whole 50 points and that the CRS tool is correct? Should I simply disregard the certificate of qualification due to lack of clear understanding?

I have tried contacting both WorkSafeBC and ITA BC regarding this and unfortunately, I haven't received an answer. I did have a WorkSafeBC employee call me on the phone and confirmed that if I do have the IRATA or SPRAT certification, it would be counted as a certificate of qualification but I am not 100 percent sure they knew what they were talking about as they don't work for CIC and don't deal with immigration issues.

Sorry for the crazy long post and thanks a lot for your time!

Best regards

https://www.worksafebc.com/en/health-safety/education-training-certification/rope-access?origin=s&returnurl=https://www.worksafebc.com/en/search#q=rope%20access&sort=relevancy&f:language-facet=[English]
Hey mate did you ever find out about this? I am in the same scenario. Like you said Rope access falls under NOC B Cat:73 but is an unregulated trade under an MRA(mutually recognised agreement) So I am trying to find out if you even need Canadian certification and if not, the only way around passing the eligibility criteria for express entry is to say YES to this question but then attach a letter of explanation with your application.
So confusing.

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
I will confess to a complete ignorance of what a rope access technician does, but I examined the NOC you gave and I don't see that certification (i.e., a Red Seal) is required to practice this trade in any province in Canada (I did see certification as requirement in BC, but that may be akin to certification required to be a scuba instructor - that being necessary, but not Red Seal - so the type of trade certification you've cited above is not going to yield points or fulfill the qualifying criterion for Federal Skilled Trades.

Reactions: k.h.p.

Grasshopper_

Oct 22, 2018
I will confess to a complete ignorance of what a rope access technician does, but I examined the NOC you gave and I don't see that certification (i.e., a Red Seal) is required to practice this trade in any province in Canada (I did see certification as requirement in BC, but that may be akin to certification required to be a scuba instructor - that being necessary, but not Red Seal - so the type of trade certification you've cited above is not going to yield points or fulfill the qualifying criterion for Federal Skilled Trades.

Thanks so much for the reply. Makes you wonder why that profession is on the list if its not possible to apply for. Is it because you could get a PNP nomination instead ? PNP cant be through EE though because not having Canadian certification won't allow you to create an EE profile. Gaaaa what a pain

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
It's very difficult, even for experienced tradespeople, to get a Red Seal, so there are many people who qualify Federal Skilled Trades using the other two options, two years of experience after qualifying in the jurisdiction where the work was performed (if not necessary at all then 2 yrs of experience) and an LMIA-based job offer.

legionnaire

Sep 21, 2019
Actually, I just received my GCMS notes, about a couple of months after getting my COPR and it would seem from the notes that they actually gave me points for the Irata /sprat level 1 cert. as a certificate of qualification for BC. I did write a thorough letter of explanation, where I expressed my doubts. I did have enough points without the certificate but I wanted to find out :) hopefully this helps someone, I would definitely count on an 80 percent chance they accept if after this experience.

Reactions: Grasshopper_