+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cerebral palsy

Harinder1990

May 28, 2023
My son is suffering from cerebral palsy should my medical will get rejected as I am coming through PNP program.

Although my son need physiotherapy currently only 15 months old.

Please guide me solution.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My son is suffering from cerebral palsy should my medical will get rejected as I am coming through PNP program.

If medical is not passed then you will get a PFL letter stating that your son’s condition is a burden on the Canadian health care system. Panel physicians will give an opinion. They look at care required not only today but in the future. If you get PFL, you want to retain a lawyer to respond.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Yes, it's quite possible your application may be rejected due to your son's medical inadmissibility.

You can certainly try applying. There's really no solution around this. If the medical support your son needs in Canada is above the excessive demand threshold, the application will be refused.

Harinder1990

May 28, 2023
Thank you for your guidance.

But if I take insurance for my son which will cover the expenses occured in his treatment should it be the case of acceptance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

But if I take insurance for my son which will cover the expenses occured in his treatment should it be the case of acceptance.
This won't be accepted by IRCC. If you end up receiving a PFL because IRCC thinks your son's care falls above the excessive demand threshold, you will have to prove that the care he requires does not in fact exceed this threshold. Saying you will cover these costs through your own savings or insurance will not work because he will qualify for health care coverage in Canada as soon as he's here. You must prove the care he needs falls below the excessive threshold (in the event you receive a PFL).

Reactions: Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

How old is your son? As mentioned. Private insurance is not factored in. They will look at his long term prognosis too - medication, hospital care, surgeries etc.

Harinder1990

May 28, 2023
Thanks for valuable information.

My son is 1 year and 4 months old, for the time being he only need physiotherapy and little medicine, mentally he is okk understand everything but he is not able to sit and walk presently.

Good thing is his health is improving day by day.

Please guide me should I hire lawer for this.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

My son is 1 year and 4 months old, for the time being he only need physiotherapy and little medicine, mentally he is okk understand everything but he is not able to sit and walk presently.

You don't need a lawyer right now.

You can start the immigration process yourself without a lawyer.

However the chances are probably high you will receive a PFL after your son completes the medical. If you receive a PFL, it would be a good idea to have a lawyer help you respond to that letter.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

If you get a PFL then absolutely.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

The biggest issue is that he will need a lot of mobility aids or other medical supplies like wheelchairs, medical aids that put children in the standing position for part of the day, aids to help him sit, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, likely aids at school, etc. it is yet to be determined what other issue he may have. There is a good chance he may need surgery to release tendons for example. He may develop scoliosis and need a spinal fusion. There is a very good chance he will need braces for his feet (typically AFOs) which will need to be replaced regularly. All these things are very expensive ($300-500 a pair). You won’t be able to purchase private insurance that will cover physiotherapy. It wouldn’t make sense to sell you a policy given the medical needs of your son. If you work for an employer that allows you to buy into an extended health benefit plan that provides coverage for physiotherapy, medication coverage, medical devices, etc. that would provide some coverage. Finding a job with private health insurance would be a huge consideration if you were ever seeking employment in Canada. There is a cap on the number of appointments that are covered per year or a total dollar amount available to use towards various therapies. Reimbursement may still be only 80% of covered visuals so there can still be an out of pocket expense for visits covered under your private insurance. You would max out the policies part way through the year and have to cover the rest of the appointments out of pocket. Do you have family in Canada? The majority of care falls on parents and when your child becomes an adult getting care from the government will be hard to get and if lucky you get a small amount of service hours every week. The care usually falls on the family. Will you be able to live off of one income in Canada? Given the amount of appointments it will be very difficult for both parents to work full-time unless they have an extremely flexible job that will allow them to work on their own timeline and remotely. For most families in Canada living off of one income is not possible and especially when you will have significant out of pocket expenses out of pocket. If you have no family support in Canada there will likely be no other caregivers to give you a break which is really needed as a caregiver. Having a support system is really important. Getting any respite care is difficult. Some are lucky and may get a weekend a year if there is a charity in the region.