+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CERB foreign income eligibility

Dheenu

Jun 27, 2017
Hi,
I have earned $2700 in 2020 and got laid off due to COVID. My foreign income in 2019 is more than $5000 but I was not in Canada while earning this amount and also it’s not in CAD. I have proof of income / tax forms for this >$5000 income outside Canada. Am I eligible to claim CERB in this circumstance. Any help is much appreciated.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
CERB is closed. And you can’t count foreign income. The whole point is to have lost your Canadian job and income.

Dheenu

Jun 27, 2017
Thanks for your response. I have already applied and received the benefits. Now I am asked to repay the amount if I am not showing $5000 proof for 2019. I came to Canada during oct 2019 and got a job in Canada Jan 2020. Worked till March 18, 2020 and I have lost my Canadian job income in 2020 due to COVID. I have made $2700 while working in Canada in these 2 months and have ROE. I am not sure whether my foreign income of $5000 in 2019 which I made outside Canada will be considered.

Reactions: YVR123

jclarke99

May 10, 2020
Thanks for your response. I have already applied and received the benefits. Now I am asked to repay the amount if I am not showing $5000 proof for 2019. I came to Canada during oct 2019 and got a job in Canada Jan 2020. Worked till March 18, 2020 and I have lost my Canadian job income in 2020 due to COVID. I have made $2700 while working in Canada in these 2 months and have ROE. I am not sure whether my foreign income of $5000 in 2019 which I made outside Canada will be considered.
In 2019 were you a PR or citizen of Canada even if you were outside Canada earning an income? If so, you need to determine if you were a resident of Canada in 2019 for tax purposes, and if you are you should (have) reported your world-wide income for 2019.

Dheenu

Jun 27, 2017
Yes, I am a PR during 2019 but I was outside Canada earning income. From your response, I understand that I have to report world income for 2019. Please correct me if I am wrong.

jclarke99

May 10, 2020
It depends if you would be classified as a Canadian resident for tax purposes. While you were outside of Canada did you maintain a home in Canada? Did you have a spouse or children that remained in Canada? If yes to either of these, you were probably a Canadian resident for tax purposes and you should report your world wide income (but you should use tax treaties so that you aren't double taxed).

I recommend checking out the following..
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/information-been-moved/determining-your-residency-status.html

Dheenu

Jun 27, 2017
Thanks much for your response Jclarke99. I didn’t have a home / spouse / dependants. But I have a Canadian bank account active from 2015 and valid drivers license from 2015. Also my brother lives here as a permanent resident from 2017. I checked out the link provided by you and seems like I have a secondary residential ties. But I have gone through many forums / websites to check whether some info is posted related to my case and couldn’t fins any. Wondering whether I should consult a lawyer for this? Will they really help ? Any suggestion / recommendations is much appreciated.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You need to submit all your proof of your foreign earnings and CRA will determine if the proof is acceptable. If they find the proof I’d acceptable and you lost your job due to covid you’ll be able to keep the money, if not you’ll need to pay the money back.

Totally separate issue but if you had bank accounts in Canada or other ties while you were abroad you should check with CRA to determine if you were a resident for tax purposes during that time.

jclarke99

May 10, 2020
Thanks much for your response Jclarke99. I didn’t have a home / spouse / dependants. But I have a Canadian bank account active from 2015 and valid drivers license from 2015. Also my brother lives here as a permanent resident from 2017. I checked out the link provided by you and seems like I have a secondary residential ties. But I have gone through many forums / websites to check whether some info is posted related to my case and couldn’t fins any. Wondering whether I should consult a lawyer for this? Will they really help ? Any suggestion / recommendations is much appreciated.
You might want to follow this suggestion from the link that I provided....

If you want the Canada Revenue Agency's opinion on your residency status, complete either Form NR74, Determination of Residency Status (Entering Canada) or Form NR73, Determination of Residency Status (Leaving Canada), whichever applies, and send it to the address indicated on the form. To get the most accurate opinion, provide as many details as possible on your form.

Dheenu

Jun 27, 2017
You need to submit all your proof of your foreign earnings and CRA will determine if the proof is acceptable. If they find the proof I’d acceptable and you lost your job due to covid you’ll be able to keep the money, if not you’ll need to pay the money back.

Totally separate issue but if you had bank accounts in Canada or other ties while you were abroad you should check with CRA to determine if you were a resident for tax purposes during that time.

Dheenu

Jun 27, 2017
Thank you so much for your reply. This really makes me to feel positive. I earned my income in INR in India and I am not sure if I you are aware about Form 16 in India (similar to T4), I have that one which will show my earnings made in 2019 in INR. Can I show this form 16 document as a proof for my world income?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you so much for your reply. This really makes me to feel positive. I earned my income in INR in India and I am not sure if I you are aware about Form 16 in India (similar to T4), I have that one which will show my earnings made in 2019 in INR. Can I show this form 16 document as a proof for my world income?
Include all proof possible. Form 16, regular deposits of your salary into your bank account (bank statements), etc.