+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CELPIP vs IELTS

team13

Jan 13, 2020
Hi I am sure this has been asked many times already, however, I haven't been able to find some handy advice on my strange situation. I have written IELTS 6 months ago and got R - 8, L -8.5, S-7, and W 7. My only preparation for IELTS was learning about testing format and time you get for different sections. Considering I am sitting at mid 460's in CRS, I am planning to score higher on Speaking and Writing to max my Language scores. My question is about choosing between CELPIP and IELTS. Is CELPIP considerably easier then IELTS to score better? I would appreciate to know if someone has tried both tests before.
Thanks

Last edited:

roxythromycin12

Star Member
Feb 23, 2020
Hi I am sure this has been asked many times already, however, I haven't been able to find some handy advice on my strange situation. I have written IELTS 6 months ago and got R - 8, L -8.5, S-7, and W 7. My only preparation for IELTS was learning about testing format and time you get for different sections. Considering I am sitting at mid 460's in CRS, I am planning to score higher on Speaking and Writing to max my Language scores. My question is about choosing between CELPIP and IELTS. Is CELPIP considerably easier then IELTS to score better? I would appreciate to know if someone has tried both tests before.
Thanks
I took both. I took IELTS Academic though for other puposes and it is hard. I have no experience taking General though but maybe it's easier than academic. For immigration purposes, Itook CELPIP and it's way easier than IELTS. I recommend taking it BUT making sure that you know how CELPIP test works and still review before you take the exam. Best of luck!

NicoHughes

Star Member
Apr 13, 2020
I took both. I took IELTS Academic though for other puposes and it is hard. I have no experience taking General though but maybe it's easier than academic. For immigration purposes, Itook CELPIP and it's way easier than IELTS. I recommend taking it BUT making sure that you know how CELPIP test works and still review before you take the exam. Best of luck!
Is it true the CELPIP speaking and writing section is very hard to get a 9 for non native speakers?

sealco

Star Member
Apr 17, 2013
Interesting. We assume academic is more difficult, but I've had to take both academic and general and I got the better scores in the academic version... L-9, R-9, S-9, and writing 8.5. So I really don't know how to interpret this.