+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CELPIP - suggested study materials, and similarities with TOEFL

wizkid72

May 3, 2017
Hi,

Background: I am a graduate student in Canada planning to sit for the language exam needed for Permanent Residence. About ~2.5 Years ago, I wrote the TOEFL IBT (as it was needed for Grad admission), which was okay for me (since I was preparing for GRE at the time anyway, it was not hard).
I understand parts of my question has been discussed in different threads in this forum, but most of those are old and wanted to have the perspective from current students.
I have seen multiple blog/forum posts comparing CELPIP vs IELTS for Canadian visa, and IELTS academic vs TOEFL (since these are the two most common choices for universities in North America). However, could not find any comparison between CELPIP and TOEFL. Since I preferred TOEFL over IELTS:

Question 1 - CELPIP VS IELTS (and vs TOEFL) : can you suggest whether CELPIP will be preferable over IELTS - for someone who liked TOEFL? I prefer typing over writing, and believe speaking to a microphone wont be a problem (at least it was not for TOEFL). Based on that I am currently leaning towards CELPIP. Is there any other factor I should consider?

Question 2 - Study Material: As many people have commented - the primary problem with CELPIP is the lack of material. Can anyone suggest:
a. Which study material/books are worth buying? Is the official guide the best choice? I am okay with buying one book/set, and do not want basic information regurgitated (as a lot of test prep materials do).
b. Will any material from TOEFL/IELTS help? I have/can get material for those.

Thanks a lot for your help. Will especially appreciate feedback from someone who has taken the TOEFL iBT (and can comment on similarities). Your comments are welcome even if you are not familiar with TOEFL, but can provide suggestions.

Cheers!

baxa1981

May 29, 2012
I took TOEFL IBT long time ago and got 104. I was not as fluent as I am today. Speaking definitely was a new thing then and I had zero preparation for that and I got 22 on that.

However, CELPIP and IELTS seem to be whole different animals. I took CELPIP twice, didn't buy any study materials. First time, failed speaking, it was good enough at that time. Second time, failed both writing and speaking, quite shocking that it was so low. So, I am thinking either they are scamming people or they want people to buy study materials. Money making business basically.

I am preparing for IELTS and there are lots of materials and I feel much better prepared, I will take next week. But I have heard so many stories where people were getting 6.5 in one of the sections after taking 4-5 times and it's not just one section that they fail every time. First time speaking, second writing, then reading etc. I am thinking another cash-grabbing business. Just google IELTS sucks. I am doing IELTS just because of speaking. Big BUT, there are ridiculous amount of techniques you have to learn to succeed in IELTS. Forget about taking it like TOEFL.

It seems these guys have zero accountability to anyone and they can do anything they want to make more money.

After this I am thinking of taking TOEFL IBT and if I get maximum (which seems to be easier to do), I will apply to Australia.