+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CELPIP speaking

LongwaytogoPR

Nov 22, 2019
Hi,
I am looking for some advise or material to crack CELPIP speaking.
I have given almost 7 attempts in CELPIP ( @ toronto) but i was not able to get minimum score of 7 in speaking ability though i speak very well. I attempted different way of speaking, even i attended some class for speaking but no matter what was done, i am not able to get 7 in speaking.
For my job category, i need minimum 7 in all 4 category in order to create my profile. Listening, reading and writing i was able to get either 8 or 9 but speaking only 6. I attempted IELTS preparation for couple of days but then realized i need very good preparation in all 4 abilities for IELTS and need at least month time to prepare. I am running out of time so decided to try CELPIP again.. i just need to try something differently to crack my speaking...
Please advise what need to be done to crack CELPIP speaking.
Thanks

Last edited:

thephdguy

Oct 1, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Here are some suggestions:

1. I think that you should be familiar with the Speaking section by this point. Each question has a different strategy to answer it. Practice your strategies with different topics.

2. I don't know what you have done, but there are a lot of resources on YouTube (MadEnglish TV is the best). Just type CELPIP Speaking, and you will find a lot of videos, including two Speaking Seminars by CELPIP! Those are 1 hour and a half long (3 hours total) but they cover all of the 8 Speaking tasks. Go over those videos and practice along. They have so many examples you'll have plenty to practice.

3. I believe that the easiest way to practice is to talk a lot. Some English learners get to a point in which they translate what they want to say from their native tongue to English in their minds before speaking. This is a tough hurdle for some people. It seems to me that while you may have no trouble speaking under certain circumstances and your everyday life and work, this test is just trying to find if you actually think in English. Practice, practice, practice.

The Speaking part lasts 20 minutes tops, it's a lot in a short time. It's at the end of all sections, so you are already tired. My advice would be to go in with a plan for each question. I think I speak decent English, but I practiced anyway to get the score I needed. I wish you the best of lucks when you take it again. Be calm, breathe, you got this!

LongwaytogoPR

Nov 22, 2019
Thanks "thephdguy" for your advise point by point and wishes.

1) Sure, i will go through those videos in YouTube and prepare for 2 weeks. Hopefully this time i will clear it.
2) Might be i was bit nervous while speaking because it's towards end of the session & no break at all and by that time i am kind of exhausted already and moreover, so far, i had given 7 attempts which makes me even more worse. Due to this fear, i don't put it in right way that's why i did not get required score.

3) i don't have any problem in communicating in day to day life or even in work
4) yes, i do realize what's the purpose of each topic ( i.e., to test past tense , future, present continuous, prediction, etc.., ) and speak according to that...

I am curious to know. Did you use any other materials for preparation outside of what you mentioned in your response ?
I was using some predefined template which has starting and conclusion and i used to fill the body according to the question and even change starting/conclusion template dynamically if there is need to do..

Since, i am not a native speaker, so i used to wonder might be problem with my accent which is why i was not getting beyond 6.
My assumption is as long as i am able to convey the intended message with proper grammar ( i.e., may be very very less grammar mistake ) i thought i should get it 7...

I am really tired with this english exam and frustrated as i running out of time and closer to expiry of my work permit.
Hopefully this time things works as expected.

thephdguy

Oct 1, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Thanks "thephdguy" for your advise point by point and wishes.

1) Sure, i will go through those videos in YouTube and prepare for 2 weeks. Hopefully this time i will clear it.
2) Might be i was bit nervous while speaking because it's towards end of the session & no break at all and by that time i am kind of exhausted already and moreover, so far, i had given 7 attempts which makes me even more worse. Due to this fear, i don't put it in right way that's why i did not get required score.

3) i don't have any problem in communicating in day to day life or even in work
4) yes, i do realize what's the purpose of each topic ( i.e., to test past tense , future, present continuous, prediction, etc.., ) and speak according to that...

I am curious to know. Did you use any other materials for preparation outside of what you mentioned in your response ?
I was using some predefined template which has starting and conclusion and i used to fill the body according to the question and even change starting/conclusion template dynamically if there is need to do..

Since, i am not a native speaker, so i used to wonder might be problem with my accent which is why i was not getting beyond 6.
My assumption is as long as i am able to convey the intended message with proper grammar ( i.e., may be very very less grammar mistake ) i thought i should get it 7...

I am really tired with this english exam and frustrated as i running out of time and closer to expiry of my work permit.
Hopefully this time things works as expected.
Besides the materials I mentioned, I also purchased sample tests (the cheapest) from CELPIP. On those two tests, they also give examples of different CLB levels (5-6, 7-8, 10-12) for the Writing and Speaking sections. I'm not a native speaker and have an accent as well. I don't think they evaluate your accent, they know you are not a native speaker.

You assumption is not wrong, but there are more things they take into account. It is not all about conveying the message, but accomplishing the task. What exactly did they ask you? Use the guiding questions on each task to elaborate your response. Those questions often can have lengthy answers and you should capitalize on that.

One thing I did, since there were no breaks, was to spend the whole time allotted for the writing task. I finished Task 1 relatively fast and just waited, then proceeded to do the same for Task 2. These breaks let you calm down before the fast paced Speaking section. If you are a very good writer this is something you can use.

I got a 9 on my Speaking section. I might have been able to do better, but I know I stuttered here and there, and I know I didn't accomplish some tasks. The templates will help you, but you need to get hem memorized to a point you feel comfortable. Use the scratch paper they give you to write some of your templates when the exam begins, there's no penalty for it. Also write key ideas during the long preparation time tasks (Task 1 and Task 5). As I said before, breathe, calm down, you got this! Good luck!

thephdguy

Oct 1, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
I think so. It's not the amount of practice that prepares you the best (when you already know English) but the quality of it. Record yourself, listen to it and have friends listen to it as well. Be honest about what you feel you should be getting on your recordings. Also time yourself, have 30, 60 or 90 seconds to prepare (follow each task preparation time) and speak for the allotted time. Hopefully you'll increase your results!

MAIL2SUNDAREEE

Star Member
Oct 25, 2019
Hi,
I am looking for some advise or material to crack CELPIP speaking.
I have given almost 7 attempts in CELPIP ( @ toronto) but i was not able to get minimum score of 7 in speaking ability though i speak very well. I attempted different way of speaking, even i attended some class for speaking but no matter what was done, i am not able to get 7 in speaking.
For my job category, i need minimum 7 in all 4 category in order to create my profile. Listening, reading and writing i was able to get either 8 or 9 but speaking only 6. I attempted IELTS preparation for couple of days but then realized i need very good preparation in all 4 abilities for IELTS and need at least month time to prepare. I am running out of time so decided to try CELPIP again.. i just need to try something differently to crack my speaking...
Please advise what need to be done to crack CELPIP speaking.
Thanks
My suggestion is stop wasting time on CELPIP and spend a month to prepare for IELTS. In my opinion, you will crack in the first attempt since you have already had prepared for CELPIP.

Because IELTS has 3 sections in speaking. 3+3+3. if you get 2 marks in each section, you will get the desired 6 (CLB 7)

Reactions: chancan

LongwaytogoPR

Nov 22, 2019
My suggestion is stop wasting time on CELPIP and spend a month to prepare for IELTS. In my opinion, you will crack in the first attempt since you have already had prepared for CELPIP.

Because IELTS has 3 sections in speaking. 3+3+3. if you get 2 marks in each section, you will get the desired 6 (CLB 7)
Thanks.. Let's see, with above suggestions & preparation I am hoping this time will be last attempt in CELPIP.. if i don't crack this time then i will start IELTS.

LongwaytogoPR

Nov 22, 2019
I think so. It's not the amount of practice that prepares you the best (when you already know English) but the quality of it. Record yourself, listen to it and have friends listen to it as well. Be honest about what you feel you should be getting on your recordings. Also time yourself, have 30, 60 or 90 seconds to prepare (follow each task preparation time) and speak for the allotted time. Hopefully you'll increase your results!

After few attempts, i almost gave up as i could not clear CELPIP Speaking but every other ability i was able to get 8 or 9.
Finally i was able to clear CELPIP speaking after going through CELPIP speaking video by Mark ( canadian English teacher ). Also went through CELPIP official you tube video.. Mark video helped me a lot to crack CELPIP Speaking.. Also attended CELPIP speaking free seminar by official folks to know what they are expecting.. This webnair session was not there earlier..

Thanks to thephdguy for pointers and advise. I followed exactly and practiced for 3 to 4 weeks.
L - 8, R- 9 , W-8 and S - 8.. My CRS score is 473.. hoping to get an ITA in upcoming draw.

Reactions: theonlyone1

thephdguy

Oct 1, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
After few attempts, i almost gave up as i could not clear CELPIP Speaking but every other ability i was able to get 8 or 9.
Finally i was able to clear CELPIP speaking after going through CELPIP speaking video by Mark ( canadian English teacher ). Also went through CELPIP official you tube video.. Mark video helped me a lot to crack CELPIP Speaking.. Also attended CELPIP speaking free seminar by official folks to know what they are expecting.. This webnair session was not there earlier..

Thanks to thephdguy for pointers and advise. I followed exactly and practiced for 3 to 4 weeks.
L - 8, R- 9 , W-8 and S - 8.. My CRS score is 473.. hoping to get an ITA in upcoming draw.
Those are really good news! Congratulations! I'm glad I could help out a little. Good luck on the rest of your journey!