+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC vs. PNP? Best option?

AlloyAxeman

Aug 22, 2012
Hi, I am an international graduate with a 3yr post-graduation work permit and am confused about the next steps.

1. Under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) what role does an employer play in addition to providing with the proof of employment? As in does the employer have to ‘sponsor’ the applicant?

2. If I apply for the Provincial Nominee Program (in whichever Province) can I still apply for the CEC after I’ve worked one year in a skilled position?

I love this country and want to establish my life here by choosing a sure-shot way. That’s why I want to first apply for the PNP(in a province where it takes less than a year to process) and also have the CEC as my back up just in case. Any suggestions are very welcome and would really appreciate any help with the info.

Thanks and have a good one!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
AlloyAxeman said:
1. Under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) what role does an employer play in addition to providing with the proof of employment? As in does the employer have to ‘sponsor' the applicant?

No.

2. If I apply for the Provincial Nominee Program (in whichever Province) can I still apply for the CEC after I've worked one year in a skilled position?

Yes.

That's why I want to first apply for the PNP(in a province where it takes less than a year to process)

Good luck with that - unless you meant "less than a year to qualify?" For the processing, it's a 2-stage process, with the Provincial application followed by the Federal application.

If you look at Trackitt, very few have their Federal applications processed within a year.
http://www.trackitt.com/canada-immigration-trackers/provincial-nominees

AlloyAxeman

Aug 22, 2012
Thank you very much Jes, really appreciate your help.

Yes, I meant PNP will take less than a year to qualify. I am a fresh graduate and do not have a lot of work experience, all I have is 2yrs worth of part-time work exp. and I'm skeptical about whether I would land a job in the "skilled category" with ease. That's why I want to try in provinces where even with Semi-skilled workers are approved for PNP and then try for CEC. Any suggestions?

Jessica H

Jul 26, 2012
Calgary AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
1241- Secretary
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 19 2012
AOR Received.
March 21 2012
IELTS Request
Sent along with application
File Transfer...
March 21 2012- Ottawa
Med's Request
April 24 2012
Med's Done....
April 30 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
June 19 2012
VISA ISSUED...
July 12 2012
LANDED..........
Aug 05 2012
AlloyAxeman said:
Hi, I am an international graduate with a 3yr post-graduation work permit and am confused about the next steps.

1. Under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) what role does an employer play in addition to providing with the proof of employment? As in does the employer have to ‘sponsor' the applicant?

2. If I apply for the Provincial Nominee Program (in whichever Province) can I still apply for the CEC after I've worked one year in a skilled position?

I love this country and want to establish my life here by choosing a sure-shot way. That's why I want to first apply for the PNP(in a province where it takes less than a year to process) and also have the CEC as my back up just in case. Any suggestions are very welcome and would really appreciate any help with the info.

Thanks and have a good one!
As of CEC, you just need to provide the letter of employment + result of your English exam. Your employer does not need to provide anything else as far as I know. Submit application straight to CIC

On the other hand, you do need your employer to submit a bunch of information on top of employment letter to help you to apply under PNP. If your employer doesn't want to help you out filling and answering all those questions, then you won't able to apply under that stream. The thing is, even after you are a nominee, you still need to submit your document package to CIC for processing. Depending on what job title you have, you may not need English test of you are a provincial nominee.

NOTE: it took me about 8 months only for the whole process to submit to CIC under CEC. I do hear that you can submit to both and withdraw one of them if the other one already send you the confirmation of permanent resident. But you just need to pay two processing fees.