+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Car Striked Off from GTF

despairedh1b

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
Hi All - Planning a move to Canada this year.

When I did my soft landing last year via plane, the officer striked off my car from GTF (goods to follow) citing that I can't do that. So is there something I should worry about from that standpoint? or is the import process solely the 72 hour heads up, modifications, etc. - unrelated to GTF?

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
No - The others were processed normally and the total was tallied (excluding the value of my car)
Did he strike it out because of landing by flight and not by land? What was his reasoning on this? Is the car fully paid off and did you have your car title at the time of landing?

despairedh1b

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
He did not state any reason per se - but yes, I did land via flight. When I asked, he simply mentioned that there is a separate import process, cannot list in GTF.

No, I did not have my car title or registration information when I landed. The car is fully paid off.

Is there any way to remedy this? Can I call someone?

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
I'm afraid you are out of luck on this and may have to pay duties. You could explain this when you try to move permanently, but not sure how far it would work. The officer misunderstood something and thought you were not eligible for processing the car as goods to follow at that time. Unfortunately goods to follow can be processed only once for someone. Regular process to do export and import could be found in this forum..

despairedh1b

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
I'm afraid you are out of luck on this and may have to pay duties. You could explain this when you try to move permanently, but not sure how far it would work. The officer misunderstood something and thought you were not eligible for processing the car as goods to follow at that time. Unfortunately goods to follow can be processed only once for someone. Regular process to do export and import could be found in this forum..
I understand. Any ideas how much I may have to shell out? Asking so I can mentally be ready when the expense happens.

joeskc

Feb 5, 2021
I understand. Any ideas how much I may have to shell out? Asking so I can mentally be ready when the expense happens.
I did my soft landing in nov 2019 and now moving to Canada in mar 2021. I did not include my car back then because I had planned to sell it off. But now I changed my mind. So I had called up CBSA and the officer told that I will be charged 5% of the car price at the border and 8% during registration. My car is made in US so no import duties.

despairedh1b

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
I did my soft landing in nov 2019 and now moving to Canada in mar 2021. I did not include my car back then because I had planned to sell it off. But now I changed my mind. So I had called up CBSA and the officer told that I will be charged 5% of the car price at the border and 8% during registration. My car is made in US so no import duties.
Thanks this is helpful.

So, say if the Car value is $20k CAD, then was it 5% ($1,000 CAD) + 8% ($1,600 CAD) = $2,600 CAD

joeskc

Feb 5, 2021
Thanks this is helpful.

So, say if the Car value is $20k CAD, then was it 5% ($1,000 CAD) + 8% ($1,600 CAD) = $2,600 CAD
Yes. But the car value will be determined by them if its an older purchase. The officer told me that they check KBB and convert it to CAD but some posts here mentioned Canadian Red Book.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Thanks this is helpful.

The 5% is the GST the Feds collect , and more and likely the car was going to be registered in a province where the PST is 8%
The registration is dependant on the PST charged in the province of registration