+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Car insurance

JohnS1989

Aug 18, 2014
Hi everyone ;D

I'm moving over from the UK next month and I'm trying to go over my budget.
I was just wondering how expensive car insurance really is.
I'm expecting it to be dear but how dear is it?
We're both swapping our licences over straight away and we'll be bringing proof of no claims. Obviously it'll differ between individuals but I would love a rough guide.
And reccomended insurance companies for newbies would also be appreciated.
Thanks guys! ;D

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In BC, there is only one car insurance company - ICBC - thus with no competition , insurance is expensive.

JohnS1989

Aug 18, 2014
steaky said:
In BC, there is only one car insurance company - ICBC - thus with no competition , insurance is expensive.
Thank you.
We're moving to Edmonton, Alberta so hopefully there's a bit more competition.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In Toronto there are many insurance companies, due to increased competition auto insurance is very expensive

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
JohnS1989 said:
Hi everyone ;D

I'm moving over from the UK next month and I'm trying to go over my budget.
I was just wondering how expensive car insurance really is.
I'm expecting it to be dear but how dear is it?
We're both swapping our licences over straight away and we'll be bringing proof of no claims. Obviously it'll differ between individuals but I would love a rough guide.
And reccomended insurance companies for newbies would also be appreciated.
Thanks guys! ;D
I am in BC and pay $118.50 per month. That is inclusive 30% discount and plus 10 years driving experience discount.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
polara69 said:
I am in BC and pay $118.50 per month. That is inclusive 30% discount and plus 10 years driving experience discount.
thats a handsome quote...a friend of mine pays $500 monthly in toronto..and he drives an old car that's worth $2000 only.

stray cat

Star Member
Aug 21, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2014
AOR Received.
20-02-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
24-07-2014
Med's Done....
02-08-2014
Interview........
RPRF: Paid 26-09-2014
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR: 12-11-2014
LANDED..........
15-11-2014
JohnS1989 said:
Thank you.
We're moving to Edmonton, Alberta so hopefully there's a bit more competition.
We are in Edmonton, have an old 2005 Suburban. $3000 for our first year's insurance mate... :eek:

The insurance companies did not count UK driving experience - even though I have been driving for 30 years in the UK I was classed as a completely new driver over here :mad:

Only one of the insurance companies we spoke to would recognise our previous driving experience and they wanted proof of no claims from every insurance company we had been with in the UK. Needless to say, that was a monumental task - I have 30 years driving and probably 20 different insurance companies.

Have just looked around and it's down to about $2000 for this year. Try TD insurance, AMA, Brokerlink, GoAuto insurance. There are quite a few around here in Edmonton. Good luck!!

JohnS1989

Aug 18, 2014
stray cat said:
We are in Edmonton, have an old 2005 Suburban. $3000 for our first year's insurance mate... :eek:

The insurance companies did not count UK driving experience - even though I have been driving for 30 years in the UK I was classed as a completely new driver over here :mad:

Only one of the insurance companies we spoke to would recognise our previous driving experience and they wanted proof of no claims from every insurance company we had been with in the UK. Needless to say, that was a monumental task - I have 30 years driving and probably 20 different insurance companies.

Have just looked around and it's down to about $2000 for this year. Try TD insurance, AMA, Brokerlink, GoAuto insurance. There are quite a few around here in Edmonton. Good luck!!
Thank you.
I was expecting around that ball figure for my insurance. I've made a note of the insurance companies you've reccomended and will give them a go.
Thanks again.