+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Car insurance in Newfoundland

ElenaEagleEye

Star Member
Feb 21, 2019
Hi there,

I am looking into buying a used car in Newfoundland.

It's Hyundai Elantra Sedan from 2017 around 15.500 $. Now I have an international driving licence with 20 years of driving experience.

When I called one of the car insurance companies about the quote they told me I'll have to pay around 9000$ per year, which I find even by Canada's standards very expensive.

Is this how much people pay for car insurance?

What are your experiences with purchasing car insurance?

Thanks folks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there,

It's Hyundai Elantra Sedan from 2017 around 15.500 $. Now I have an international driving licence with 20 years of driving experience.

When I called one of the car insurance companies about the quote they told me I'll have to pay around 9000$ per year, which I find even by Canada's standards very expensive.

Thanks folks!
Have you transferred to your Canadian license? How old are you? Male? Do you have a family?

Kertzmann21

Sep 8, 2021
Newfoundland & Labrador presents a lively culture, with colourful houses lined along the waterfront and live music emitting from its streets. As the most easterly point on the continent, sun rises are experienced here first. As you drive through pristine landscapes and picturesque scenes, have auto insurance coverage that fits your needs.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Hi there,

Thanks folks!
I pay $65 a month in PEI..Full cover

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I pay $65 a month in PEI..Full cover
That is pretty low compared to many although PEI may have legislation when it comes to car insurance. Having a Canadian license plus a Canadian clean driving record is needed for such low rates. Would start with getting a Canadian license.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
That is pretty low compared to many although PEI may have legislation when it comes to car insurance. Having a Canadian license plus a Canadian clean driving record is needed for such low rates. Would start with getting a Canadian license.
Haven't seen your reply from 2 years ago..why is it low? Because I have been in Canada a looong time, no accidents. I even have citizenship.. ;)

Last edited: