+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Car insurance for newcomers

andreduarte

Star Member
Nov 28, 2022
Hey, I'm moving to canada in Feb/23 (London/Ontario), and I'm looking for a car. My work colleagues told me that insurance will be painful, as a newcomer. I spoke with Honda sales representative and he told me that the best option is to to a 12 months lease.

Anyone has experience with that? What are the best options?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey, I'm moving to canada in Feb/23 (London/Ontario), and I'm looking for a car. My work colleagues told me that insurance will be painful, as a newcomer. I spoke with Honda sales representative and he told me that the best option is to to a 12 months lease.

How about car sharing?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
you mean something like Turo app? Can you share more options about car sharing?

This is what i found in google:

1. How does Turo works?

Vehicle owners list their cars with Turo, a company based in San Francisco, and renters can search the available vehicles in their area and rent them for daily prices set by the owners. Rentals can be booked online or through a phone app that allows direct communication between owners and renters.

2. How does Zipcar works?

https://www.zipcar.com/en-ca/how-it-works

D

Deleted member 1083629

Turo doesn't work well outside of large cities (Toronto). For example, I couldn't find a single car in Waterloo area. On top of that, cars are pretty expensive.

Communauto is another option. Unfortunately, suffers from the same problem (not many cars in smaller cities).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Wouldn’t do a 1 year lease unless you can’t afford payments on standard financing or to purchase something. If you can write off the lease as a business expense that may be another reason to lease. Not sure how the lease will lower your insurance payments.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
A lease won't improve your insurance costs. In fact, it will limit your options for coverage as the lease will have minimum insurance requirements (comprehensive coverage). As a newcomer, insurance companies are going to start you at the highest rate as you have no Canadian driving history. When the wife immigrated, we got her a decent older vehicle and avoided comprehensive insurance (we didn't care if minor damage didn't get repaired) until she gained Canadian experience. Regardless of that, insurance in Canada is just plain expensive for everyone.

Reactions: canuck78