+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Car Buying & Registration at QUebec with US DL

Jag2020

Star Member
Sep 15, 2020
Hello Guys: We recently landed in Qc, i have valid USA DL, and its taking time to get appointment to exchange DL.

What i want to know is, whether can i buy a car and register while holding US DL ?

I know for insurance we need Quebec DL, but i am still having valid US insurance which covers comprehensive, so i am good from Insurance point of view.

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
The dealership in Montreal would not sell us a car without holding a QC license (we were holding BC licenses that were still valid). Only until we got the license were we able to buy and register. This was in the middle of the lockdown, and no special considerations were provided beyond being able to drive on an expired out-of-province license while the SAAQ figured out appointments.

I suggest to widen your net. We drove an hour out of the city (off island) and were able to secure an appointment to exchange our license within a couple of days (vs. waiting weeks for an available spot downtown).

Jag2020

Star Member
Sep 15, 2020
The dealership in Montreal would not sell us a car without holding a QC license (we were holding BC licenses that were still valid). Only until we got the license were we able to buy and register. This was in the middle of the lockdown, and no special considerations were provided beyond being able to drive on an expired out-of-province license while the SAAQ figured out appointments.

I suggest to widen your net. We drove an hour out of the city (off island) and were able to secure an appointment to exchange our license within a couple of days (vs. waiting weeks for an available spot downtown).
But to get appointment its only over the phone correct ?

Or do we drive to a near by DMV and get it directly ?

When ever i called the DMV number it take 45 minutes and they come back saying all appointments are booked till next two months ?

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
But to get appointment its only over the phone correct ?

Or do we drive to a near by DMV and get it directly ?

When ever i called the DMV number it take 45 minutes and they come back saying all appointments are booked till next two months ?
Yes, you will need to make an appointment over the phone. My point being is try to call and make an appointment at a location further away from a densely populated location.

Jag2020

Star Member
Sep 15, 2020
Yes, you will need to make an appointment over the phone. My point being is try to call and make an appointment at a location further away from a densely populated location.
Thanks
I live near brossard but my office is at Far away place, i just checked and called one of the SAAQ their IVR says no appointment needed and walk during business hours ?

Can i go there and give it a try ?

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
Thanks
I live near brossard but my office is at Far away place, i just checked and called one of the SAAQ their IVR says no appointment needed and walk during business hours ?

Can i go there and give it a try ?
Certainly. I remember during the summer they did have some walk-in locations as well. I would suggest getting there before opening hours - might be a line.

Jag2020

Star Member
Sep 15, 2020
Certainly. I remember during the summer they did have some walk-in locations as well. I would suggest getting there before opening hours - might be a line.
Thank you let me give a try tomorrow and will let you know.

Appreciated!