+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can't renew drivers license (expired) because PR card expired!

K78

May 21, 2023
My PR card is expired in 2020, and I realized my driver's license is expired as well more than 6 months.

Now I need to proof my status in Canada with my PR card to get it renewed however because I also need to do a NAME CHANGE on the PR application, I need the my Proof of Permanent Residence document.

I don't remember ever having a paper like that. I have the invoice for when I paid the fee and a stamp in my passport when at the immigration office.

The VOS waiting time is 6 months and then I need to apply for PR. I don't know how to get my driver's license renewed...ugh... Can't have one without the other.

Any advice is appreciated.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My PR card is expired in 2020, and I realized my driver's license is expired as well more than 6 months.

Now I need to proof my status in Canada with my PR card to get it renewed however because I also need to do a NAME CHANGE on the PR application, I need the my Proof of Permanent Residence document.

I don't remember ever having a paper like that. I have the invoice for when I paid the fee and a stamp in my passport when at the immigration office.

The VOS waiting time is 6 months and then I need to apply for PR. I don't know how to get my driver's license renewed...ugh... Can't have one without the other.

Any advice is appreciated.
You need valid IDs so check provincial requirements. Question has been asked before with the common answer being once you meet RO & have renewed PR, you can get your DL. Did you get provincial health care?

K78

May 21, 2023
You need valid IDs so check provincial requirements. Question has been asked before with the common answer being once you meet RO & have renewed PR, you can get your DL. Did you get provincial health care?
Yes, I have my provincial health card. What is RO?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, I have my provincial health card. What is RO?
Residency Obligation. This is really the only requirement to be approved for a new PR Card, so hopefully you have at least730 days in Canada counting back 5 years from today. If you do, apply ASAP. If you do NOT, do NOT apply until you have met the R.O.

K78

May 21, 2023
Residency Obligation. This is really the only requirement to be approved for a new PR Card, so hopefully you have at least730 days in Canada counting back 5 years from today. If you do, apply ASAP. If you do NOT, do NOT apply until you have met the R.O.

K78

May 21, 2023
Yes, I have been in Canada sufficient days. Haven't left since 2019. The problem is that in order to get my PR card renewed I need to apply for VOS because that is newed for a name change. That takes 6 months + the two months+ for PR card. That means I will be without a license for over a year. I need to drive to work and I have kids. Looking to see if:
1. There is another way to get my license. Any exceptions?
2. Get urgent processing for VOS.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes, I have been in Canada sufficient days. Haven't left since 2019. The problem is that in order to get my PR card renewed I need to apply for VOS because that is newed for a name change. That takes 6 months + the two months+ for PR card. That means I will be without a license for over a year. I need to drive to work and I have kids. Looking to see if:
1. There is another way to get my license. Any exceptions?
2. Get urgent processing for VOS.
Don’t know province but check provincial requirements. Go to the local service centre and ask. As for urgent processing, you can try but don’t think getting a DL is a reason for urgent processing.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/apply-renew-replace/urgent.html

cz999

Feb 1, 2020
NOC Code......
Can you maybe try to ask the registry if they recognize COPR as proof your status? Maybe you can at least get a temporary licence with that