+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can't get photos taken for PR card due to Covid

mugs60

Aug 26, 2016
My PR card is up for renewal in early May but no photographers are available in my Ontario town due to Covid closures. Just enquired at Shoppers Drug Mart and they aren't doing PR card photos either due to Covid concerns. Would I be able to travel back and forth to the states with an expired PR card? I have U.S. citizenship.

Last edited:

mugs60

Aug 26, 2016
Did a bit more research and I think Walmart may still be doing PR card photos so I may be ok.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My PR card is up for renewal in early May but no photographers are available in my Ontario town due to Covid closures. Just enquired at Shoppers Drug Mart and they aren't doing PR card photos either due to Covid concerns. Would I be able to travel back and forth to the states with an expired PR card? I have U.S. citizenship.
Unless you are an essential worker you can’t travel back and forth.

mugs60

Aug 26, 2016
As a U.S. citizen I wouldn't be able to cross the border into the states? Or get back into Canada as a PR? I have a 94 year old mom in the states who isn't doing well.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As a U.S. citizen I wouldn't be able to cross the border into the states? Or get back into Canada as a PR? I have a 94 year old mom in the states who isn't doing well.
Can’t speak to getting into the US but Canada may be an issue although you can certainly try with documentation. You’d need to enter quarantine for 14 days. If you are going for one visit that is likely possible with proof that your mother is not doing well health wise. Crossing the border repeatedly will likely be very difficult.

mugs60

Aug 26, 2016
I just spoke to USBP -- they said as U.S. citizen I can enter the states. I agree that going back and forth wouldn't be a good idea. My PR card expires early May and my plan was to attempt a visit this week then return before my card expires. It's been difficult to get a photo to complete the application and although Walmart seems to have their photo centre open I don't relish going in there and chancing exposure to Covid. I wonder if Canada border would be a little more lenient with expired cards given Covid?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I just spoke to USBP -- they said as U.S. citizen I can enter the states. I agree that going back and forth wouldn't be a good idea. My PR card expires early May and my plan was to attempt a visit this week then return before my card expires. It's been difficult to get a photo to complete the application and although Walmart seems to have their photo centre open I don't relish going in there and chancing exposure to Covid. I wonder if Canada border would be a little more lenient with expired cards given Covid?
You can enter with proof that you are a US citizen or with your landing documents at the land border.

mugs60

Aug 26, 2016
Still not able to get a photo taken --Walmart, Staples, and private photographers not doing photos.

mugs60

Aug 26, 2016
Do you mean I don't need to worry about renewing my card if my travel is limited to helping my brother care for my 94 year old mom in the U.S.? She's the only reason I have to travel out of Canada (by car).. Won't CBSA ask for a non-expired card at some point? I do meet the RO by a very wide margin.

Last edited:

mugs60

Aug 26, 2016
Do you mean I don't need to worry about renewing my card if my travel is limited to helping my brother care for my 94 year old mom in the U.S.? She's the only reason I have to travel out of Canada (by car).. Won't CBSA ask for a non-expired card at some point? I do meet the RO by a very wide margin.
Nevermind. Of course I'll need it for OHIP in a couple of years.