+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cannot find medication insurance for quebec with the RAMQ card on a closed work permit, help?

Sleep

Aug 1, 2019
Hello,

I currently have a closed work permit and a RAMQ card. They have told me that I am not covered for medicines under their plan, and that it is illegal to not have coverage. My problem is that I cannot find any company who provides this - I have spoken with several organisations who say they do not provide to people in my occupation/situation or indeed offer that sort of service at all. I am a little stuck and cannot find any companies or resources to guide me towards a solution. Do most people simply NOT get medication insurance? The situation must be the same for all closed work permit holders.

Any advice appreciated!

Many thanks.

JosephQuebec

Mar 30, 2020
You are correct in saying it is impossible or very difficult to find a private prescription program. Having said that, there are a number of companies that offer health insurance packages for temporary workers that include limited prescription benefits. You might consider buying the cheapest insurance you can find that does include at least some minimal prescription coverage.

Please have a look at this link: https://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/citizens/prescription-drug-insurance/Pages/eligibility.aspx for Québec's rules regarding prescription insurance.

If you do not have prescription insurance and you are caught, the consequences are as follows. The worst that can happen is that you will have to pay 650$/year to cover your obligation despite being ineligible to receive the benefits of Québec's program - and pay for medications should you need them.

Consequences if you do not meet your obligations
You don’t have any prescription drug insurance coverage?You will have to pay Revenu Québec an amount equivalent to the public plan premium for each full month during which you had no coverage at all.
You are registered with the public plan even though you are eligible for a private plan?You will have to repay the cost of the prescription drugs paid by RAMQ during the time when you had access to a private plan.

Kostas

Jan 22, 2020
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Sydney NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
24-07-2020
AOR Received.
18-08-2021
Med's Request
22-09-2021
Med's Done....
25-09-2021
According to this:
"Everyone who is permanently settled in Québec must have prescription drug insurance coverage at all times"

And:
Persons residing in Québec temporarily are usually not eligible for prescription drug insurance. However, they can take out personal insurance.

https://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/citizens/prescription-drug-insurance/Pages/obligation.aspx

You are not obliged to have a drug insurance if you are under a work permit, because your work permit is temporary.

JosephQuebec

Mar 30, 2020
I checked the RAMQ site and you are not required to have prescription coverage unless you are 'permanently settled in Québec' - see: https://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/citizens/prescription-drug-insurance/Pages/obligation.aspx

"Everyone who is permanently settled in Québec must have prescription drug insurance coverage at all times."

More info from Revenu Québec - this regards Schedule K of your Québec Tax Return. As a foreign national, you are not eligible for the Québec prescription program and therefore not liable for payments.

From: https://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/citizens/income-tax-return/completing-your-income-tax-return/completing-your-income-tax-return/line-by-line-help/400-to-447-income-tax-and-contributions/line-447/

Other situations (lines 59 and 73 of Schedule K)
You do not have to pay a premium if any of the following statements are true. Enter “12” in box 62 or 76 of Schedule K, as applicable.
  • You are a foreign national and are not entitled to the reimbursement of the cost of your prescription drugs under the Québec prescription drug insurance plan.

zzeves

Jul 9, 2020
I have the same problem right now! Did you manage to figure out if there are any companies that provide private insurance with prescription coverage for temporary workers?

Sleep

Aug 1, 2019
I didn’t, frustratingly. I exhausted all avenues I could find and it looks like basically I will just have to pay the $600ish dollars for medication insurance to the province next tax season, despite not having the right to utilise it.
Seems ridiculous, but was the only solution I or anyone I had known in a similar position else came across. Just have to pay up front everytime.

If you find out otherwise let me know though haha!

Kostas

Jan 22, 2020
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Sydney NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
24-07-2020
AOR Received.
18-08-2021
Med's Request
22-09-2021
Med's Done....
25-09-2021
Let's repeat it...
If you have a work permit closed or open means that you are temporarily in Québec, so you are not obliged to have drug insurance.
And specifically when you are doing your tax return, you put that you don't pay for this as you are a foreign national.
I don't know who terrified you but its clearly written that you don't need drug insurance.

Reactions: Shivangi Sarabhai