+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cancelling application

Kuru15

Mar 9, 2020
Hello! I have a question about withdrawing a conjugal partner application and its possible effect on a future spousal sponsorship.

I applied to sponsor my partner using the conjugal sponsorship last year and we received a PFL letter in January. I responded to the PFL letter and didn't find out until after responding that the chances of the application being accepted are quite low! We have been waiting for about 5 weeks and still have not received any answer.

Due to our current circumstances I am debating whether if I should submit a withdrawal form for the application. We live in Japan and the corona virus has been spreading quite rapidly in our prefecture and we are worried about becoming stranded if airlines start to cut off flights from Japan.

So I am thinking of just canceling the PR application at this stage. We will then we move to Brazil to start a new spousal application there after we have a marriage ceremony.

I have a few concerns with cancelling at this stage.

1: Will the cancellation effect a future spouse application? Will it be better to wait for a refusal letter?
2: What stage is the application at after the PFL? What type of refund could I expect at this stage?

The PFL stated there was no concerns about the genuineness of our relationship but rather that we could have lived or married during the time. I have read that having a immigration officer already confirm genuineness of the relationship could be beneficial for a future sponsorship.

Also what is the timeline for withdrawal like? A response to the PFL can take months so would a request to withdrawal the application reach them in a timely manner?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello! I have a question about withdrawing a conjugal partner application and its possible effect on a future spousal sponsorship.

I applied to sponsor my partner using the conjugal sponsorship last year and we received a PFL letter in January. I responded to the PFL letter and didn't find out until after responding that the chances of the application being accepted are quite low! We have been waiting for about 5 weeks and still have not received any answer.

Due to our current circumstances I am debating whether if I should submit a withdrawal form for the application. We live in Japan and the corona virus has been spreading quite rapidly in our prefecture and we are worried about becoming stranded if airlines start to cut off flights from Japan.

So I am thinking of just canceling the PR application at this stage. We will then we move to Brazil to start a new spousal application there after we have a marriage ceremony.

I have a few concerns with cancelling at this stage.

1: Will the cancellation effect a future spouse application? Will it be better to wait for a refusal letter?
2: What stage is the application at after the PFL? What type of refund could I expect at this stage?

The PFL stated there was no concerns about the genuineness of our relationship but rather that we could have lived or married during the time. I have read that having a immigration officer already confirm genuineness of the relationship could be beneficial for a future sponsorship.

Also what is the timeline for withdrawal like? A response to the PFL can take months so would a request to withdrawal the application reach them in a timely manner?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
1. No, it won't affect a future app if you withdraw.

2. At this point, you would get the RPRF back.

Confirming the genuineness in one app isn't beneficial for a future app; the VO processing the future app still has to verify the relationship and it doesn't change anything about how the app is processed.

There is no timeline for withdrawal. It could be months.