+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian transit visa when going to US - HELP!!!

Diva1990

Aug 27, 2015
Please help!

My boyfriend currently lives in Europe, we met there 6 months ago while I was doing my internship.
Couple of months ago, we applied for a visitor visa to Canada. I put myself as a host, because I'm a Canadian citizen. They did not accept the application because even though he holds a study permit in Europe, he's a Syrian citizen.

We have decided to give up on Canadian, didn't want to re apply. He has a valid US visa, so we are planning to meet in the U.S. Next month. He booked a ticket to US from Germany. It was pretty expensive because I didn't book it months in advance. And it is not returnable!!! Guess what? He has a transit in Toronto Pearson airport and we need to apply for a transit visa for him.

This sucks!!! I'm scared he won't get it because he just got rejected from visiting canada. I'm scared that they won't give him a transit visa and it will create question marks for immigration.

We tried to change our ticket but it's not changeable, and we paid $1800 for it!
What are the chances that visa office will give him a transit visa through canada? Will they reject him?
Does it take long to get one?

It says that we have to use the same file. Should we write an explanation that he will only be transmitting canada and so on and upload as an additional document? Or it will even make it worse?

Please help! I really don't want him to loose that ticket and the opportunity to go to US Sad(

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's too bad the flight is transiting through Canada. It's impossible for any of us to say whether it will be accepted or refused - or what his chances are for either. However the fact he has a prior Canadian visa refusal certainly won't play in his favour.

Include evidence to show that his final destination is in fact the US with proof of what he will be doing there / where he will be staying (etc.).

A transit visa can take anywhere from a few days to a few months to process.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Not the news you want to hear but the I got denied a TRV and now just happen out of sheer coincidence to be transiting Canada a few months later comes across as 'I need to get into Canada anyway I can'. This has yet another refusal written all over it.

2. While generalization is not always fair it doesn't help that the current situation in Syria has resulted in Syrian Nationals becoming one of the largest asylum seeking groups in most of the EU which is facing a record surge in undocumented arrivals this year (its actually a crisis). Visa post may take the view he may claim asylum once on Canadian soil and as things are in Syria even a failed claim means he will likely get a pass on removal. His 'temporary' status in Europe doesn't help since he has no ties to compel him to return to Europe. You can quit your studies any time but its more difficult to walk away from a long term decent job, mortgage, family etc.

3. You don't necessarily have to transit Canada if flying from Germany to the US so why is he choosing this route? I suggest he/you find a different city in the US to meet in that has direct flight connections from his city in Germany or re-routes via an EU hub direct to the US. The option of transiting inside the US is one to consider too. This may involve taking a financial hit but it will save you time and likely heartbreak.

Diva1990

Aug 27, 2015
Thanks guys...

We applied and waiting for a response.

We will see what happens. We provided them with his return ticket that is already purchased as well as the reason why he is visiting U.S. And so on.

I really hope they accept it...

otherwise he probably won't come :( since he's a student and on a tight budget.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good luck - what is the reason for transiting via Canada will be the crux of the decision making.