+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian taxes & foreign seamen

Freskov

Apr 17, 2015
Greetings , forum members!

Can anybody be so kind and spill some light on the taxation of foreign seamen who are temporarily trading in canadian waters & calling to canadian ports from time to time???
For example, Norwegian owned and IOM flagged vessel is currently chartered by canadian corporation located in NL's St. Jones.
I guess, all crewmembers are considered as none residents since they spend only 3-4 months here even if they all have valid work permits. They also have no direct canadian income & monthly salary just transfered to their accounts from shipowner located in Norway (I guess, it is then considered as worldwide income). They do not pay any income taxes from salaries in their own countries since they spend more than a half a year abroad summary. What will be their case with tax???

I've looked through all 7 taxes topic's pages here & spend a lot of time at CRA website , trying to find detailed information on this matter, but I was realy confused by a huge amount of minor details of canadian tax laws. Kindly help to put all these aspects in one place , in one piece. No doubts it will be usefull a lot for many seamen worldwide who sail here, in Canada.

Many thanks in advance!)