+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian taxes for married non-resident who resides in the states

anneboleyn

Oct 27, 2018
what are the rules governing the filing of a tax return that marked as the non-resident Canadian citizen as single when he is married to a US citizen and resides in the states. Is that normal, legal? What are the implications or benefits of doing so if US spouse is disabled? Are there benefits??

anneboleyn

Oct 27, 2018
furthermore, am I responsible for this.....mistake? I was not aware of the error until I stumbled upon the return.Had I not found it I would have likely never known!!!!

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
what are the rules governing the filing of a tax return that marked as the non-resident Canadian citizen as single when he is married to a US citizen and resides in the states. Is that normal, legal? What are the implications or benefits of doing so if US spouse is disabled? Are there benefits??
I guess the first question is why are you filing a tax return if you don't live in Canada. Were you earning income here? did you live here for part of the year?

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I guess the first question is why are you filing a tax return if you don't live in Canada. Were you earning income here? did you live here for part of the year?
Yes wonder why he was filling a return and on top of it saying he was single not married. Would add that yes he needs to declare he is married. You can call CRA and report the error.