+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian sponsoring my husband and step son from Mexico

coffeecup007

Sep 7, 2012
I am finding it so hard to get questions answered. I can't afford a lawyer but I don't know which way to go first. I'm sponsoring my husband from Mexico and his 18 year old son. I am concerned that my income will prevent me from doing this, I live in Nova Scotia. How do I know if this is the case? His son doesn't have any children and is not married.
My step son isn't here yet and we are working on a visitor visa before we apply for PR to get him here so we can apply from inside Canada. If he can't get the visa, I don't know what the fastest way would be to get him here. His safety is our primary concern since his father is here and unable to help him in Mexico. Can I sponsor my husband from Canada and my step son in Mexico at the same time?
Any advice or experience anyone has had would be welcome at this point as I don't know which way to go first right now and my husbands work visa will expired soon.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
You don't need to meet a specific income requirement to sponsor your husband and his son, because at 18 your stepson remains a dependent and with no children or spouse of his own, he can keep that dependent status.

I would suggest you do an Outland application for your spouse and his stepson as his accompanying dependent, Mexico City's average for 80% of applications is 12 months, which means their application could be processed faster than that, whereas an Inland application is an absolute minimum of 11 months before your spouse gets AIP and if you cannot get a TRV for your stepson, his half of the application would have to be processed in MC anyways, and nothing could happen on it until his father had his AIP (first stage approval).

You can apply to change your husband's status to visitor while he still has a legal status with his work visa. If you apply Inland, he would have implied status until he gets AIP if you apply for an Open Work Permit with the PR application, but he would not be able to leave the country and as said, if your stepson can't get a TRV, his application will end up in MC anyways.

coffeecup007

Sep 7, 2012
Thank you very much for that post. I am feeling better already. I feel like I am running in circles trying to get everything together here. My fingers are crossed that my step sons visa will get approved, we will know in a couple of days. I don't like spending a long, cold winter alone but I can't bare to see my step son there alone, he's been through too much already.

mc1234

Champion Member
Aug 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2012
Doc's Request.
20/08/2012 - PGR and SSP
AOR Received.
Ottawa: 23/07/2012 Mexico City: 20/08/2012
File Transfer...
24/07/2012
Med's Done....
12-04-2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
08-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2012
LANDED..........
23-11-2012
Come over to the Mexico thread. There are a bunch of us there with Mexican Husbands/Wives going through the sponsorship process!

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/mexico-t35385.6240.html

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
coffeecup007 said:
Thank you very much for that post. I am feeling better already. I feel like I am running in circles trying to get everything together here. My fingers are crossed that my step sons visa will get approved, we will know in a couple of days. I don't like spending a long, cold winter alone but I can't bare to see my step son there alone, he's been through too much already.
I agree with everything CharlieD10 said. Your stepson would be included as a dependent in the sponsorship for your husband so you don't need to do separate applications.

By the way, one thing to consider would be to have your stepson get the SSP police certificates for both himself and his Father before he goes to visit you in NS since you can only get them in Mexico City and only a direct blood relative can request it.

coffeecup007

Sep 7, 2012
OhCanadiana said:
I agree with everything CharlieD10 said. Your stepson would be included as a dependent in the sponsorship for your husband so you don't need to do separate applications.

By the way, one thing to consider would be to have your stepson get the SSP police certificates for both himself and his Father before he goes to visit you in NS since you can only get them in Mexico City and only a direct blood relative can request it.
I certainly appreciate the advice. We have the criminal records checks done for both of them. My only convern is if I can't get him here on a visitor visa, is there any other way to get him here? It really is all about a concern for safety and for my family too. The outland time it would take to process would be 66 days for Canada and a year for Mexico, thats a long time to live apart. I can't afford flights to Mexico.