+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian pregnant and giving birth in the States

EveDelValle

May 13, 2013
I am a Canadian citizen who is currently residing in Florida USA with my 6-year old canadian child. I am in a engaged to an American and 7 months pregnant with his child. I will be giving birth here in Florida because we are unable to move to Canada due to financial issues. Unfortunately I do not know what to do, and what will happen. I have a few question, it really much appreciate if someone could help me.

1. Could I apply for duel citizen ship for my child? And if so how do I do so?
2. If not^ what do I do?
3. If I need to move back to Canada which will most likely happen down the future, what happens with my child's status in Canada? Would I have to sponsor him?

Thanks in advance
(Plz no rude comments)

sakamath

Feb 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2008
Doc's Request.
Nov 2011
AOR Received.
17-May-2012
File Transfer...
8 Mar 2012
Med's Request
26-Nov-2012
Med's Done....
24-Dec-2012
Passport Req..
26-Nov-2012
VISA ISSUED...
App abandoned in July '14
EveDelValle said:
2. If not^ what do I do?
3. If I need to move back to Canada which will most likely happen down the future, what happens with my child's status in Canada? Would I have to sponsor him?
1. There is no such thing as "Application for Dual Citizenship". If one holds Citizenship of more than one country, they are automatically "dual citizens"
2. You would have to apply for your child's "Citizenship Certificate" - as you are a Canadian, your child can automatically apply for a Canadian Citizenship certificate.
3. Once you acquire the Citizenship Certificate for your child, your child would continue to get to enjoy the rights and privileges of a Canadian Citizen any time (s)he moves to Canada at any point in time in future.

Check this website:
www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules/index.asp

PS: Since you are an Canadian Citizen, your child automatically is a Canadian Citizen.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
EveDelValle said:
I am a Canadian citizen who is currently residing in Florida USA with my 6-year old canadian child. I am in a engaged to an American and 7 months pregnant with his child. I will be giving birth here in Florida because we are unable to move to Canada due to financial issues. Unfortunately I do not know what to do, and what will happen. I have a few question, it really much appreciate if someone could help me.

2. If not^ what do I do?

Thanks in advance
(Plz no rude comments)
in your case, the only person you would have to sponsor if your american husband ( or common law partner). Both children are ( or will be once born) Canadian, so you don't need to sponsor them. AS stated, you only need to apply for their citizenship certificate and then their passport.
Congrats on the pregnancy!
Sweden

kaisin82

Mar 20, 2011
Singapore
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-11-2011
Nomination.....
20-08-2011
AOR Received.
23-11-2011
IELTS Request
Waived
File Transfer...
N\A
Med's Request
06-03-2014
Med's Done....
14-03-2014
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
06-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
Passport sent on 28-03-2014, VISA issued 16-06-2014
LANDED..........
Calgary here I come!!
out of curiosity, if both parents are canadian, but child is borne in US. The child is an american citizen? can parents get green card to US because of this?

sakamath

Feb 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2008
Doc's Request.
Nov 2011
AOR Received.
17-May-2012
File Transfer...
8 Mar 2012
Med's Request
26-Nov-2012
Med's Done....
24-Dec-2012
Passport Req..
26-Nov-2012
VISA ISSUED...
App abandoned in July '14
kaisin82 said:
out of curiosity, if both parents are canadian, but child is borne in US. The child is an american citizen? can parents get green card to US because of this?
The child would be an American Citizen. But then, the child would have to grow up to the age of 18 before (s)he would be able to sponsor the parents.