+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian PR: living in Windsor, working in Detroit and commuting daily

barabashka

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Dear friends,
I was researching this option (Windsor/Detroit) thing for quite some time now. I know this was discussed coupled times on this forum, but I could not find any clear information, or any feedback from people who actually went this route and could share their experience.
I understand Canadian PR who has H1B can commute every day on this basis? However, H1B has a time limitation (plus my employer will be insisting on proceeding with GC status as it gives the employer more stability regarding me staying with them permanently). The US GC process in my case would be very short (about one year).
I came across a term Permanent Resident Commuter Status (US Green Card C2) - which allows one to live in Canada/Mexico and to commute to US to work.
The time a US GC holder is on a "commuter" status does not count toward naturalization.

I think this can be a way to go for someone who wants to continue living in Canada, accumulating days for citizenship - but works in US on "commuter" status?
If one day a person decides to live in US, the commuter status can be changed to a regular GC card (and naturalization clock would start).

I do not want to live in US, I am quite happy living in Canada. In addition my spouse is also happy in Canada and in US he would not be able to work while I am on H1B status. The problem is - I cannot find a job in my field in Canada! I became Canadian PR in 2010, tired to find a job in my field for 2 years, but eventually had to take up an appointment in Europe where I work for a year already. But we want to be in Canada!

I think a "commuter" status US GC should not affect Canadian PR card renewal or application for Canadian citizenship. In fact, it might help, as it explains the employment situation and that it is likely that the person lives in Canada if he/she opted for commuter status. Its an official "give up" on physical US residency.
Does anyone have any additional info or opinion about this option?

Also, any suggestions on how to prove physical residency in Canada while living in Windsor and working in Detroit? We will pay rent or mortgage and pay utility bills, but this will not prove EVERY day presence...How about buying coffee every day in the morning on Canadian side using a debit card before heading to Windsor/Detroit tunnel? Would that work?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
barabashka said:
Also, any suggestions on how to prove physical residency in Canada while living in Windsor and working in Detroit? We will pay rent or mortgage and pay utility bills, but this will not prove EVERY day presence...How about buying coffee every day in the morning on Canadian side using a debit card before heading to Windsor/Detroit tunnel? Would that work?
BTW, many people have suggested to order a travel history from the Canada border services agency to prove presence in Canada. Perhaps, you can get that also?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Buying coffee every day is a good idea but it doesn't prove that you were using the card. Having a mortgage, utility bills, letters sent to you at your address, letter from your employer stating that he knows you to be living in Canada commuting every day, your commute route etc. could all help convince.

barabashka

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Thanks steaky and Leon,

Yes, I was going to order travel history from Canada border services agency anyway, in order to prove all my visits and holidays back to Canada while I am working in Europe. I am also keeping all the boarding passes.

However, I am not sure they will record every day my return to Canada on the land border at the Windsor/Detroit tunnel? Will they? If yes, then that would be an ultimate prove that I am back to Windsor every day indeed.
No way they will stamp my passport every day, thats for sure....

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
barabashka said:
Thanks steaky and Leon,

Yes, I was going to order travel history from Canada border services agency anyway, in order to prove all my visits and holidays back to Canada while I am working in Europe. I am also keeping all the boarding passes.

However, I am not sure they will record every day my return to Canada on the land border at the Windsor/Detroit tunnel? Will they? If yes, then that would be an ultimate prove that I am back to Windsor every day indeed.
No way they will stamp my passport every day, thats for sure....
1. As per Leon Coffee purchase indicates your card was used but not who used it...giving credit/ debit cards to family/ friends is an old trick used by cheats to pretend they are in Canada.

2. How many days of physical presence in Canada do you have to date?

3. How are you crossing the tunnel? Personal vehicle? Bus?

4. CBSA shows entries only...you need to get CBP entries to the US too. Also are the Europe visits stamped in and out?

barabashka

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Hi Msafiri,

1. Debit card use - yeah, you are right...I have to find other ways of proving the residency

2. At this moment I have 635 days physical presence in Canada form the day of landing in July 2010. Since I started working in Europe a year ago, I go back to Canada quite frequently for conferences, work visits for collaborations as well as holidays to visit my spouse (he is in Canada, waiting for me to come back...). European annual holidays are quite long (I have 6 weeks/year + state holidays). If I stay in Europe, I would complete the 730 days of Canadian physical residency in summer 2014. But I do hope to come back before that. I know troubles will begin from July 2015 if I am still in Europe - then I would have to meet the "2 years out of 5 ROLLING years" rule and that would be tough - I must come back before that.

3. I am not crossing the tunnel yet, I am planning to do that if I take up the job in Detroit. I would use the bus for the first few months up to a year I think and then use a car. I think Windsor monthly bus pass covers the tunnel as well, but I am not sure.

4. If CBSA records entries on the land border, would not it be sufficient to have entries recored every day? Who would assume that I go to Canada after work at 7-8pm and then immediately go back to Detroit in order to come back again at 8pm next day? Anyway, I guess it will not hurt to get CBP record as well, as long as they do record all the land entries.

My european entries and exits are not stamped. I am visa exempt in all european countries as well as Canada. I have a 3 years work permit in Europe at the moment, and my first entry once I got the permit is stamped - but not others. However, I have all boarding passes (in and out) for my travels to Canada during the last year. All my residency days in Canada before I started working in Europe are well documented as I was working full time (although not in my field) with all the relevant tax documentation, work place pension and so on.